Daily check-in: December why you started!

Replies

• arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Last lift was Saturday, hopefully I'll squeeze in another tonight after my work party (darn holidays...). Was a quick one, because I'd conned my workout buddy into a quick lift before her coffee date...

5x5 Squats @ 175lbs (felt ok, not the best, but MUCH better than before I deloaded my squats a while back)
    5x5 OHP @ 75 lbs (felt worse than the last time I did these at the same weight dangnabit
    1x5 (kind of... had to reload briefly in between reps #2/3 and #4/5) DL @ 205 (first attempt at my BW). I called this a fail and I'll retry in a bit. 195 seemed easy though. I got nothin'. I think it was just a rushed day in general.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Workout B today. My right shoulder is still tweaked. Taking time off didn't help. Continuing to work out doesn't seem to damage it further, so onward, I guess.

Squats:
    Warmups 1x8@45, 1x6@105, then 5x5@140. The first set was hard, the middle three easy, the last set hard. As Kenan would say, what up with that?

OHP:
    Warmups 1x8@45, 1x5@60, then 5x5@70. OK. Shoulder tweaks if I don't get my form juuuuuussst right. Again, first set hard, middle three fine, fifth was a struggle but I got it done.

Deadlifts:
    Warmups 1x8@45, 1x5@105, then 5x5@150. Leg and backwise, these feel fine, but my grip is teh suck. I see gripwork in my future if I want to continue to lift all the heavy things.

Accessories: Swiss ball reverse jackknifes (jackknives?), swiss ball potstirrers from my toes. These were hard. I should do more of them.

My waist is noticeably smaller than it was. I also see cheekbones coming in on my face. Noticed those today. Oh yisss.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    edited December 2014
    crabada wrote: »
    - I video'd my last set to see the form and I while it wasn't bad, it's not nearly as clean as I'd like. I'm also not getting as low as I thought. (And oof! -- am I ever squishy. :( )

Good on you for biting the bullet and checking your form! I have been avoiding doing the same because I just cannot handle all my squishiness on video. Perhaps your example will give me courage.

Nice workout.
  • @ Meglo -- I often have the hard, easy, hard experience -- I think the first is about getting into a good rhythm, then things come together, and then I'm tired by the fifth set. Feels like a fairly natural progression, actually.

Awesome that you can see changes in your waist and face. I still can't. *SIGH*

And just go for it with the video if you're concerned with form. It's nice to just know -- and it's not like you have to watch it more than a few times. :)

Finally -- is getting your shoulder checked out an option? Just because it doesn't feel like it doesn't mean more damage isn't being done. Not to second guess you or your knowledge of your body, but if you can have it looked at, might be a good idea.

xo
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Deloading on squats and rows for a bit to work on form, since I haven't been feeling too confident about them lately.

Squats: 5@50,65,80,90,105
    Bench; 5@45,50,55,60,65
    Row: 5@45,50,60,70,75
    RDL: 3x10 @65
  • Squat 110 5x5 and it felt easy. It's weird how squats can be grueling or pie depending on the day.
    Row 60 5x5 which was challenging. Might post up here for a bit and work on form.
    Bench 80 at 4,5,4,3,2. Sloppy as hell but I'm happy I got to 80 finally! My husband had to pull the last set off me, though lol.

Then I attempted to do some planks but ended up just laying on the mat texting my cousin. Failing the bench really wore me out.

In other news, Spice Girls 2 Become 1 came on during my rows and it was oddly inspiring.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Then I attempted to do some planks but ended up just laying on the mat texting my cousin.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

i don't much like (? i think?) trying to do my workouts when i'm in rat-race mode. but if i don't then i won't be going more than twice a week, so idk. anyway. i swear all the last lingering effects of my saturday workout wore off while i was busy at work. i went in still a bit dragged, spent the whole day eating everything that came near me, and got home after a ludicrously-fast 25-minute ride feeling like i could push down a tree. i was half thinking i should just savour the non-domsiness and not go straight out and blow it all on another workout but that's what i did. workout b:

squats: 2x5@65 (my new warmup weight, i think. the bar's too light on its own for me to feel my form now). 3x5@95, 3x5@100. so the 95lbs probably isn't a fluke after hitting it three or four workouts in a row now. and i'm subbing in one extra 100lb set every time, except i think next time i'll stop havering and go back to 5. i've been chicken about trying the 100 so early so far, so then by the time i do i end up with 6 sets instead of just 5. anyway, core a little less responsive than last time, but overall everything still felt strong. legs REALLY felt strong, and the thing i'm liking best is: even when a rep starts to slow down and stall, there's very little wobble or folding or knee caving now. there's just a bit less velocity and a lot of stubbornness, until i locate the right muscle triggers to keep shoving my knees out and using my glutes.

bench: 2x5@45, 4x5@70, 1x4@70. i don't care. i'm calling this 70lb bench press and therefore a personal record for me, anyway. feel like i can because it's not like i'm going to go in next time and try 75. these were HARD and i didn't try for the very last rep because i knew it was going to be unsafe. but the others were strange . . . seriously hard and slow in mid-path, but the lockout was just a pop every time. then i'd lie there with the bar braced up in the air and breathe for a while because that wasn't especially hard :D

rows: didn't do 'em; so sue me. well, i did a few sets at various weights, but cue the usual rows-suck complaints. what i did instead was a few sets of JUST setting my shoulders and doing the lat-heavy sections of pulldowns. and then i spent more deadlift-form tinkering time at 70lb with the big trainer plates. and then somehow based out of that, also arbitrarily decided i'm gonna do roumanian deadlifts from now on, and not rows. so i did 5x5 of those at 70lbs and came home.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    The weight section was oddly busy after 11 pm today but didn't interfere too much with my plans. Today also went quicker than last time but I think we got out of work a little earlier than Saturday, which helped so I was hope before 12:15 instead of at around 12:30. Anyways, work out B starting week 4 is done.

OHP - 5x5 @ 50
    Squat - 5x5 @ 95
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 115

Leg Press - 3x8 @ 90

After my usual warm up and such, I ended up doing OHP first cause the squat areas were busy and I didn't want to wait around. I did a warm up with 30 (too easy), then 40 and just went with the 50 lb bar instead of doing the regular bar with the fractionals cause i would have needed to get one from a bench and find a spot. I did have to get the bar off the floor then up into position, which I'm not too fond of doing for OHP but I did all sets at 50 though the last couple were tough. Then did leg press cause waiting though left knee felt off at first but it went okay. Squat warm up, the bar did feel awfully light. I didn't get the cage cause it was occupied, so used the other rack. 95 felt so heavy but pushed through while wondering why so many people were there so late. However, the guy in the deadlift area finished just when I needed it, so that was nice for a change. Quick put up and managed to use the 35's, so I'm getting closer to those 45's but it's awfully heavy already. We'll see how Friday goes on that.

I think Wednesday I'm going to try and lift during the day instead of after work cause I'm pretty tired after work and even though that is freight day I'm just filling in as cashier (it was supposed to be my day off).

@scientific - ooo milk crates... Some day I'll have my own gym (it's on the list along with library) and I'd have to consider that. Interesting idea.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited December 2014
    Oh hey, I was so out of it yesterday I forgot to report that I FINISHED THE PROGRAM! Day 25 was a test day - redoing the "pre" test (that I did 3 weeks in, lol) and trying to improve

7 mins max for 3 sets of
    - Recline rows: 15 / 12 / 13 for a total of 40 (previous was 35)
    - Pike presses: 12 / 10 / 13 for a total of 35 (over 33)

8 min AMRAP complex with a 30lbs KB of 6 reps each (unbroken):
    - sumo deadlift
    - sumo deadlift high pull
    - ground to overhead
    - goblet squats

I completed 4 reps short of 8 rounds. 30lbs was kind of easy to be honest, I was more out of breath than fatigued. But contrary to my usual self, I did NOT finish the round. I just dropped the bell the moment the timer went off. I don't know why. I feel stupid.

Then was supposed to try for a 400m sprint but it was about 0 (farenheit, -18 celcius) out and there isn't a track so I tried the treadmill, it was set in km, it decided to take me to 1km/h when I tried to crank it up to 10 to start my lap, had to restart, ended up with a 2:10 time on something that usually I feel slow completing in 1:50.

I'm planning 4 more trips to the gym before I leave on vacation, but I'm not going in with a definite plan and I won't be going heavy. I need to center myself and unearth my willpower and drive. Not sure where they went :(
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Way to go, Krokador! Finishing the program, wow! I'm just 2 months in and can't imagine lifting what you do-but maybe someday :smile:
  • crabada wrote: »
    Reading these posts are so inspirational! I've been having a crisis of confidence lately and took a week off. One of the really strange issues I'm having is fear. I am dead afraid of losing in on squats and going down with the weight on my back. Intellectually I know the safety bars will catch the bar, but I'm having real issues getting over it. I welcome any tips.

Have you practiced failing? It's loud and feels a little weird, but it's was an immense help once I got to the point where I knew failure was a possibility. Now I know what to do and how it will feel, and it's not so scary anymore.

I have, but perhaps not enough. I do think that might help. Thanks!
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Everything felt truly awful today. I've been eating at a 500 cal deficit since I got back from my vacation (Saturday) to make up for the all-inclusive resort. I took that all-inclusiveness as a challenge and I'm paying for it now! I *hate* being hungry all the time! Ok, whining over for now...

Today's workout:
    1 mile run to warm up.
    Squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@70, 4x5@105, 4@105 -- felt a twinge in my knee on the last rep of the last set and so decided not to mess with it
    OHP: I was supposed to move up to 60 lbs today, so I pulled out my new fractionals and tried 57.5.... and failed. Ugh! So this was 2@57.5, 3@55 followed by 4/3/4/4@55. What happened to 55? So disappointed.
    DL: 5@115, 5@135. These didn't feel too bad, but I was supposed to go up to 155 today and I just didn't feel I had it in me.
    3.5 mile run afterwards just so I wouldn't feel so awful about the lifting. My legs were tired but this still felt good.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    I am lame and didn't get up for the gym today, but wanted to check in and say HI! I did do my 5k on Sunday. My team walked more than ran, but since the event wasn't timed I decided to just go with it. One team member is very new to exercise, she would jog for 30-60 seconds and then walk for 5 minutes. We had a "no wo-man left behind" motto that day, so although I didn't make any records for myself, I HAD FUN!

Gotta get back into my grove again this week. Its been almost 3 weeks of "rest" between work/sickness, etc. I did manage to make the gym on Thanksgiving and it was REALLY busy. But I haven't lifted since :-(
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Starting SL today - planning for Tues./Thurs./Saturday workouts. Very excited to get started! My plan looks like this:

- Squat - 5x5 @ 45
    - Bench 5x5 @ 45
    - Row 5x5 @ 65
    - [Assisted] Dips 3xF
    - Reverse Crunches 3x12
    - Random cardio (1/2 hour or so)

Love how active this group is and looking forward to making my goals into reality! :smiley:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    I need to center myself and unearth my willpower and drive. Not sure where they went :(

i think they'll surface all by themselves if you give them a bit of a break. and give yourself a small chance to celebrate too :D you just got married, which sounded like a pretty big deal, to me. and hit a milestone by completing your programme, so where's the celebration and the wow-ain't-i-great-ness that those things need?

/will stop scolding now. but honestly, people who never have nuthin' but 'drive' all the time seem sort of sorrowful creatures to me. it's more like they're driven, and where's the big happy in that?
  • haley183
    haley183 Posts: 24 Member
    Did workout A on Saturday, I just never got around to logging it on here:
    Squat 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 55lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 55lbs

Bench was the hardest, my arms were all wobbly but I made it through!

I was supposed to do workout B this morning before work but I couldn't make myself get out of bed. I went out for a couple drinks after work with some coworkers yesterday... big mistake. I only had two drinks but now I remember why I quit drinking most everything except small glasses of wine. I slept horrible, woke up with a headache AND I missed my workout. :( I will have to make myself workout this evening instead, which I hate working out in the evenings!
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Got into the gym early this morning before the nasty weather hit, didn't eat anything before hand so i think that's why i struggled, but im trying to make up a little bit for the crappy eating this weekend. still completed the workout though

D5 W/O A:
    Squats: 2x5 @ 45 for warmup then 5x5 @ 90 for the working sets, felt a little wobbly so i'm going to repeat the weight maybe using the Smith Machine...we'll see

BP: 5x5 @ 65 a little tough but not unmanagable, using the Smith Machine consistently for these (got annoyed because i was going between Squats and BP and some guy stole my bench from under the Smith Machine so i had to go get a new one for the last set)

Row: 5x5 @ 80 getting tougher but felt a lot better using the Smith Machine
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Went yesterday - it was a big day! 45's on my squats. Completed 5x5 @135, with one fail because I was being an idiot, not because I couldn't lift it.... and I redid it. I will probably repeat, though - I'm finding as the weight gets harder I prefer to repeat rather than take the risk and fail if it felt tough.

Bench. Ugh. I love bench, but hate to fail. Warmed up, and then racked 85 for my second attempt at this weight. Failed miserably - 3x3x1x0x0. I think it would have looked better had my husband not insisted on "helping me" do negatives. Honestly, I am so brutally sore today after doing negatives for any rep that I missed, so maybe it will help me actually progress on my third attempt. This is the first time I've failed bench twice at one weight, so I took it kind of hard. I was all bitter and angry until the negatives kicked my butt - then I just wanted a nap.

I attempted the first set of rows at 85, but after the negatives I only got 3 reps in and called it. I did 3x10 on the TRX instead, with a less significant angle than normal. I was absolutely beat. But I'm sore today, and oddly excited to probably fail for a third time on OHP tomorrow.....
  • @Canadian - I get the wobbly knees too when I get up to challenging weight (and when I see a handsome gentleman). I've read that it has to do with a weak gluteus medius and/or tight IT band. Hip hikes, glute bridges, stretching your leg across your body, and the gyno machine (abductor... adductor?) can help target the area. I deloaded a few weeks ago and now that I'm getting back up to the weight I was at, I notice significantly less wobbling so it might just get stronger as you continue to squat, too.

@Dawn - It's crazy the gym was crowded at 11pm on a Monday. Do you live in an area with a preponderance of second work shifts? I went at 8:30pm and though it wasn't busy, it wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be either. I think there's a regular late crowd.

@Krok - Congrats on finishing your program! Hope some time off will help you get your groove back.

@Tiffany - I know the program says to start rows at 65 but don't get discouraged if it's too heavy. I started at 45 and worked up to 70 before I stalled out. I then tweaked my shoulder so took a few weeks off of rows. I started again at 30 to be careful which was very easy but I feel much better about my progress taking it low and slow.

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Starting SL today - planning for Tues./Thurs./Saturday workouts. Very excited to get started! My plan looks like this:

- Squat - 5x5 @ 45
    - Bench 5x5 @ 45
    - Row 5x5 @ 65
    - [Assisted] Dips 3xF
    - Reverse Crunches 3x12
    - Random cardio (1/2 hour or so)

Love how active this group is and looking forward to making my goals into reality! :smiley:

You will get addicted fast! Welcome to the group, there are some amazing ladies here! :smiley: