Daily check-in: December why you started!

Options

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Squats 5x5 @ 118lb
    Bench 5x5 @ 56lb
    Rows 5x5 @ I forget, but it went up.

I think these are right, in a bit of a dash today and haven't bothered to get my little book...
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    @MissHoliday -- way to get it done, even with the prosecco! I always feel a lot better after those post-indulgence workouts than during.

Ran 1 mile to warm up

Knees bugging me again on squats but better today, so just 3x5@105.

OHP was hard but I did all 5x5@55. Will try 6x5 next time @55 before adding weight.

DL: 5@95, 5@115, 5@135, 5@155. I like these so much more when I do a couple of warmup sets starting light. The app tells me to start with 5@135 and then do my work set, but that just doesn't work for me.

Also 50 min kickboxing.
  • logg1e
    Options

Also 50 min kickboxing.

Ha! Love it.

• SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »

Also 50 min kickboxing.

Ha! Love it.

Yeah. I need to get all that aggression out that comes from a woman lifting heavy. Otherwise I might get too manly... or bulky... or just plain testosterone crazed.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Squats: 5@55,65,80,95, 3@105, 8@80
    Bench: 5@45,50,50,60, 3@70, 8@55
    Row: 5@45,50,60,70, 3@75, 8@60
    RDL: 2x10@65, 1x10@70
    Bicep curls: 4x12 @8lbs

Have a good weekend ladies!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @MissHoliday -- way to get it done, even with the prosecco! I always feel a lot better after those post-indulgence workouts than during.

Ran 1 mile to warm up

Knees bugging me again on squats but better today, so just 3x5@105.

OHP was hard but I did all 5x5@55. Will try 6x5 next time @55 before adding weight.

DL: 5@95, 5@115, 5@135, 5@155. I like these so much more when I do a couple of warmup sets starting light. The app tells me to start with 5@135 and then do my work set, but that just doesn't work for me.

Also 50 min kickboxing.

So true! I felt awful during. I was weak, exhausted easily, and I started sweating in strange places. After, though, I felt tired but renewed. Will try and remember this next time I'm posted up on the couch feeling like junk.

Also, were at similar weights for these lifts. Twinsies!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Squats-5@45, 5@95 5x5@120
    Bench press-5@45, 5x5@60 (didn't feel comfortable moving up to 65 yet)
    Rows-5x5@65
    Bicep curls 2x10@30
    Tricep BB 2x10@15
    Bench ab crunches 2x10

10 burpees to warmup
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym last night for my workout, i was able to snag the Smith Machine for the entire workout:

Squats 2x5 @45 for warmups, then 5x5 @90
    OHP 5x5 @ 60, my back was super tight during these, maybe because i'm actually using proper form (the seat i was using had a foot rest so i couldn't arch my back like i usually do when my feet are on the floor) *at least i didn't drop the bar on my face this time* other than that these felt really good
    Deadlift: 1x5 @80

Somewhere between my squat reps and my OHP reps there was a guy who took the smith machine next to me and was doing some form of leg presses on it?????? and as i was starting my deadlifts he looked over at me and mumbled something and i just smiled and he was like "i see you working over there" and i just smiled, i was also super impressed at the number of females who were in the free weight area, i just switched gyms and most of the time while i was at my old gym it was just me and maybe one other female....LOVE IT!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    did a bit of gym time after my chiropractic experience, but feeling disappointed since the muscles round the adjusted joints mostly feel a lot worse than they did when things were not lined up right. probably unreasonable of me to be disappointed and i just need to grow up, but still. i just did a kind of general-revision-of-everything thing and even that had me strangely wiped out and tired afterwards.

squats at 45lb then 3 sets at 65, 95 totally out of the question right now (i tried). some pulldown sets at 12.5 pounds, well into the 50% zone of what i've been doing before. ohp, 3 sets of around 5 at 30 lbs, and deadlifts starting at 50 and going up to 70 for a while.

couldn't get the bench, but i think bench would have been a mistake with the state everything above and below my collarbone seems to be in right now. i did rows at 30lb for two or three sets as well. spent the day driving. not a typical activity and my neck didn't like it at all. and goofing around with an ex-colleague's pretty-new baby, same thing. bought a huge jar of whey protein powder, gonna make it into a shake with blueberries and yogurt, and go boil myself in a hot bath and then sleep.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I miss you gals. I miss lifting. I miss breathing normally.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm a lil lazy today so I'm sharing my workout this way: cm187o77rcji.jpg

I was out of breath and sweating like a mofo even just after my warm-up. Spent the entire time panting during the lunges- and the rest in between sets. It was a pretty tough workout, to say the least.

As you can see, I also scratched off the last 2 rounds of tabatas I was planning to do. I was just too out of gas. I was so hungry and feeling so weak when I left the gym! lol

@crabada: We miss you too! I'm sure you'll come back stronger! ;)

@canadianlbs: Y'know, I thought I was relentless but you really don't give up either! Haha. Good job on getting some work in despite the shoulder thing. I usually am so afraid of moving after getting adjusted I spend 2-3 days basically doing nothing, then somehwo throw it back out of alignment at some point and figure "screw it, going to the gym anyway" lol. I probably should go get the right side of my lower back fixed at some point. But hey, the only thing I have real trouble doing are crunches. Who needs to do crunches? (It does bother me when I wake up in the morning but I'm stiff overall anyway xD)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    started sweating in strange places.

LOL!

@krokador re: the chiropractor . . . yeah, sometimes i wonder about this lifting schtick tbh. at my monthly in-person meetup, the trainer who started it was talking the last couple of times about what a 'mess' her lower back apparently is, now that she's had mri and other stuff done. and i'm not quitting or anything, but she can't be far into her thirties so the realist in me does kind of go ' . . . um?' i usually wake up with something horrible going on with my left collarbone and take a little while to get it unstuck and moving again, but it's always the hair at the back of my head that's clumped up and sticking out in all directions, so i don't know what i'm doing while i'm asleep.

feel a bit better today. going to probably follow more of your model and remind myself life won't end if i don't lift for a couple of days.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio day. At first I was supposed to go to coworker's gym and lift with her, would have been nice to have friend spotter to attempt that 80 bench again, but she cancelled. So, I went to my own gym and did a cardio day. The weight sections were quite busy from what I saw, so guess Sunday mid day won't be on my list for lifting at this point.

Managed an hour on the treadmill, barely. Wasn't tired, just found out my iPod went wonky so when I got to the gym I discovered it had no music at all on it. Am resetting and fixing now, but an hour on the treadmill without my music is not as easy to endure. I wore the wrong pants too, so jogging attempts did not work out as I had to pull them up every 30 seconds. I quit trying after 5 minutes and just walked.

Today is just not my day. Also got phone call from boss, so I'm going to work an extra hour and we're staying open till midnight from today till Christmas Eve instead of our usual 10pm.

My gym is doing some trainer workshops. Women lifting, form, etc. I wish I could go to the form workshop but it's at 6pm on a day I work 4:30-midnight. But I signed up for the one workshop that is on my one day off this week. Body fat checking... I've never had mine actually checked cause I know the number is way high since even after losing almost 30 so far this year I need to lose like 30 more to not be in the obese category. But I'm going to go and find out a rough number anyways.

As far as lower back goes, I already have arthritis and I'm only 30. I hurt my back bowling in my early 20's and guess it didn't quite heal as well as I had hoped. I have a few injuries from bowling. But now I just wanna go bowling despite that. lol
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started strong lifts 1 month ago today :-)
    Wednesday Dec 10th

Squat: 110 5x5
    OHP: 60 5x5 ( I de-loaded from 70 to fix a problem with my form.)
    Deadlift: a single lift at 140
    3@ 135
    5@125

Friday December 12th
    Squats: 5x5@115
    BP: 5x5@90 ( I de-load to 85 after 3 fails, but finally got my 5x5 @90!)
    BR: 5x5 @75

I have had some mild pain in my hip after the last couple workouts. It's not too bad, but it is definitely more than just DOMS. The squats are getting pretty challenging and I think they are the cause. I took a rest day today after some upper body work yesterday. Should I put off strong lifts tomorrow if my hip still hurts, or perhaps do my squats at a lighter weight?
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Hey all - just checking in with yesterdays lift:
    -
    Squat 5x5 @ 145lbs
    ohp 5x5 @ 55lbs
    deadlift 1x5 @ 180lbs

Felt heavy, felt tired - but got it done!
  • krokador
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    As far as lower back goes, I already have arthritis and I'm only 30. I hurt my back bowling in my early 20's and guess it didn't quite heal as well as I had hoped. I have a few injuries from bowling. But now I just wanna go bowling despite that. lol

I'm 27 and have had lower back issues for years already. Ever since I was in college around 18-19 actually. Some of it was due to being overweight, my sciatic nerve and groin were twisted weird when i started working out and never got quite right again after that. And I played bowling for a few years which obviously didn't help. So I hear ya.

Oh and actually, I also managed to shift 2 of my vertebraes out of alignment when I was about 16. The pain was so unbearable I could barely walk or lay in bed. It was a massotherapist/not-too-sure-whatist that set it back in place, but my back has never been the same. I'm not 100% sure that's not what's bothering me now, albeit to a lesser degree than it did initially.

But i had this thing before lifting and I actually feel fine when doing the exercises, so the cause has to be something different.
  • logg1e
    Options
    Squeezed a lift in this morning before a couple of nights away with work.

Squat 5,6,6,6,6 @117.5lb
    OHP 3,3,3,3,3 @51.5lb (each press took me an age).
    DL 5 @ 150.5lb (I was showing that barbell who was boss today).
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Busy time of year. Trying to finish up things at work this week before the holidays!

Squats 5 x 5 @50
    Bench 3 x 5 @45, 2 x 3 @45
    Row 5 x 5 @60

I failed on the bench--will repeat next time. Might be a while before I can go up again!

Is it only my perception or does it seem that rows with dumbbells work better for upper back than do barbell rows? I feel bbell rows more in lower back with slight upper. I think I can hold the dbells at a different angle so I feel it more in upper back. Any thoughts?

I am beginning to look forward to lifting days now :-)
  • krokador
    Options
    Is it only my perception or does it seem that rows with dumbbells work better for upper back than do barbell rows? I feel bbell rows more in lower back with slight upper. I think I can hold the dbells at a different angle so I feel it more in upper back. Any thoughts?

It's also easier to add the contraction with dumbbells because you're not restricted to the bar path and doing them with a knee on the bench helps take the lower back out of the equation. It's pretty normal to feel them differently. They won't work quite the same muscles, but if you like them better I don't see too much of an issue subbing dumbbells in instead or the bar, on a regular basis or from time to time :)
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    got a strength traning workout in yesterday morning, still using the Smith Machine for everything:

Squats: 2x5 @45 for warmups then 5x5 @ 95 for working set, starting to get harder but still managable with the 90 second break inbetween sets

Bench: 2x5 @ 45 for warmus then 5x5 @ 70 for working sets, I used one of the steps as a bench, under the Smith Machine, worked out pretty well.... i think

Rows: 5x5 @ 85 working sets, not too terrible, starting to get hard though but form is a lot better when using the Smith Machine