Standard Planks for burning abs...Really

Options
My PT gave me some advice on how to help lose those inches from the waist. Body planks. I starated doing them. I can really feel the tighten but haven't visibly seen results. Is anyone out there doing planks to strengthen core and lose inches in the ab area?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need a calorie deficit to lose inches, but planks will definitely help with your core strength.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you need a calorie deficit to lose inches, but planks will definitely help with your core strength.

Yeah, you can't spot-reduce, sorry. Like Toad said, though, you'll have great core strength.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    they'll help with strength. They're the only exercise I continue when pregnant, and after baby comes out belly is back to flat. I blame planks. But, unless you're in a calorie deficit whether by diet or working out, you won't lose much in the way of inches.....
  • sweetest_potato
    sweetest_potato Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you want to SEE abs, you need to achieve relatively low body fat.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I do planks but not to lose inches :) my core has gotten insanely strong in the last two months from the addition of proper planks. I do 2 minute forearm planks every other day. Started out only being able to hold it for 20 seconds. Currently increasing from 2 to 3 minutes and held one today for 2 minutes 15 seconds. In daily life, I've noticed this strength mostly at night. It might sound weird, but I toss and turn a lot at night. And I sit up a lot at night to adjust my blankets (I have a wack joint condition). Anyway, I used to have to push myself up into sitting position using my arms to push my upper body up or roll to the side and press up. Now I just sit up Straight from laying flat on my back without pressing up with my arms, like something from the exorcist or something- haha. I didn't start doing this consciously, it just evolved over time. Pretty cool in any case although it probably looks freaky.
    I also do about 5 minutes of core pilates moves 3x a week.