It's Groundhog's Day all over again!

Options
suzyqholland
suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
Help! Ever since July, I've been gaining and losing the exact same five pounds over and over and over again. It's a vicious cycle and I can't seem to break free! How did Bill Murray break the dreaded cycle? I can't remember. Whatever it was....I need to do that! Now the holidays are upon us and I'm afraid of getting on that slippery slope called "weight gain." It's that slope where you eat something that you know is loaded with calories and then (as if that wasn't bad enough) you say, "oh, WTH" and eat some more stuff loaded with calories...and then some more! My friends on MFP have been quiet for awhile and I find that I miss the support. So, how are y'all planning on dealing with the holidays?

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Suzy.. I hear ya... I am still trying to get the regain gone - i'm not even worrying about the holidays i'm finding I just have to take it one day at a time until I can break that cycle and for some reason I am really having a hard time with it... I WISH I had paid attention when I hit that "five" pound mark and put the brakes on and got back to the basics but I didn't... now I have 15 to lose to get back to my goal weight and I'm finding it really hard to get back on track this time around.. I don't know why because I felt GREAT at my GW.. and I do NOT feel great about me now so logically it should be simple, but it's SO not! And yes, I miss the group support too.. everyone working on the same thing and sharing their successes and showing me it can be done... it helped me get to my goal so I know it works for me.. but alas.. :'( seems the MMH has run it's course. I'll be happy to support you in any way I can though!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hey Suzie and Snoozie...

I know - I miss the MMH logs as welll....:(

I still haven't gotten to my "goal weight" trying to lose about 60 isn't easy.... I had made it down to 174 last year, but winter, snacks and not paying that much attention have gotten the best of me... need to start taking those walks again when the weather doesn't get in the way... plus a 2 hr commute (1 hr each way) doesn't help either....

Currently at / about 180ish...

Luckily I don't let 1 or 2 days get me down....

As always... here for ya if you need me...just send a message or write on my wall:)

Carol in NJ
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hey Suzie, Snoozie, Carol!!
    I am guilty of not posting much at all this past year..It is mostly due to a lack of my own motivation ...I am in the same place with you all. I am up about 3 or 4 lbs... Looking to start back after the new year. I'm not going to fool myself about doing good through the Holidays. ; ) . I don't like to think the MMH are finished...It was only 5 or 6 of us that posted anyway....
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Hey there Suzie, Snoozie and Gail....

Life is interesting, fun and full....turkey and trees and a new year just around the corner oh my... (Wizard of Oz ref)... lol...

Hoping all is well in whichever corner of the world you live in... we're looking for rain and wind this week - thank goodness my name isn't Dorothy (Gale / Gail) lol....

Stay warm, dry and safe while all the crazieness goes on around you... my plan is for zumba on Mondays and Fridays - unless there's a holiday or day off during the next couple of months... and trying to get in one dreadmill walk or elliptical session at the gym once per week...

And I agree with Gail... let's keep this group going strong....

See you soon...

Carol in Warm Wonderful Jersey...
    ... as Chicken Little would say... the sky is falling - I hate it when water (rain) or white stuff (snow)... come down from the sky...

Which is worse... weather or bird "excess"....lol... :)
  • jihumfeld
    jihumfeld Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I feel your pain. The holidays are a mine field of bad things to eat. I just try to look at each holiday meal as a regular meal, with the exception that I will allow myself a "taste" of some really high calorie goodies. But, and this is really a big but, if the goody in question is one of my triggers then I don't even allow myself a taste of it. It is only through trial and error (and mostly error) that I've discovered a number of my triggers. I have found that I can have a small portion of something because even when I have a large portion I'll still want more when I'm done, so there is no difference, I'll still want more so I have the small portion.

I don't know about all of you, but I seem to have a real problem dropping past the numbers ending in 0. It seems like it takes forever losing a bit, then gaining a bit, repeated again and again. I've tried eating more, eating less, exercising more, and just doing what I've been doing. At the time nothing seems to work, but then finally it will drop and not go back up as much. I actually have a spreadsheet that logs my weight every day (well nearly every day, sometimes I'm away and didn't take my scale). So while I think I'm not making progress I take a look and sure enough there is a very slow progression downward.

I don't know what it will be like when I reach my goal weight. I'm not even sure I'll reach my goal weight. Right now I'm so locked into my favorite meals, I don't know what it will be like to eat more. I'm afraid more will turn into mega-more.

I wish all of you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been dealing with the same groundhog day issue as well- arg!!! I also miss the hatters communication and support . Guess people got busy or unmotivated or something . Speaking of busy, it's the season! Hope everyone is hanging in there and that you all have a very Merry Xmas and fantastic New Year!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    As far as the triggers go.... I can't eat one chocolate... esp reeses... seems to be the trigger....or york peppermint patties... etc etc...lol....

• cbmcphillips
    Options
    Susan... I'm right there with you... I miss the support as well

Carol
  • suzyqholland
    Options
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    A little humor for the day! I've been under the weather for three days now so I haven't been able to go walking. I find that when I'm sick (with something other than stomach issues), I eat more. It's like I'm trying to nurse myself back with food. I'm determined to get better, renew my efforts and get back to my low weight in the next two weeks. Hahahaha! Talk about unrealistic goals!!! Why oh why do we set ourselves up for failure this way? Remember when we were in our twenties and we could lose ten pounds in a few weeks? Yeah, those days are long gone!
    I'm going to try the "little taste" approach that jihumfeld suggested. Plus, Christmas is at my house this year so I have some control over what is offered. The problem will be the trip to see my husband's family after Christmas. I can do this though. I know I can! If all else fails then there's always next year! I'm still 40 pounds lighter this Christmas than I was last Christmas....so that's a huge win!
  • seehe
    Options
    SuzyQ- we have the same name, the same amount of weight lose compared to last Xmas, and I'm going on a trip after Xmas to see my sister and her family LOL Small world!!!
    - Btw LOVE the cartoon!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    hi all.. sorry I've been MIA... being without a fridge for almost a week now while back at work has made any kind of healthy eating impossible... you would think screaming and throwing hissy fits would burn a few calories - fighting with everyone from the store where I bought the new one to the Electrolux people who sub contract to a delivery company.. OMG.. we have become SO complacent about BAD customer service - we just accept that's how it is and there's nothing we can do about it.... but it's absolutely unacceptable and I'm not going to stand for it anymore!! I may get arrested ..... but i'll choose trial by jury and stock it with Hatters LOL!! will be back asap ...!!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Oh Snoozie... feel better... and yes... the grinch is everywhere this time of year... hence why we have a tree, lights and angel.... no ornaments on the tree yet.... and yes, I'm the customer who has to have everything right.... to the point of being annoying (except when it comes to food - you don't even know what might come back)... lol.....
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    I had such a cute picture for snoozie... one was of a broken fridge with a man crying and the other was of a person cleaning up after a mess... and of course the cut / paste won't work....UGH!
  • seehe
    Options
  • seehe
    Options
    I hear you Snooozie- it seems like customer service is just not the priority it used to be. Hang in there!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I agree, whatever happened to "the customer is always right?" My nephew had fridge problems with Lowes and it went on for months. I can't imagine living without one for a whole week! Is it cold enough outside that you can stash stuff out there without your neighbors helping themselves? Hahaha! I have no excuse though....my fridge, oven, microwave...everything is working just fine. Hang in there Snoozie! Surely frustration burns calories!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Suzy... we are definitely orange... my son was painting the church we attend for his Eagle Scout project... Lowe's had to "go up the corporate ladder" in order to get approval... we never did hear back...

On the other hand, Home Depot has a community rep right in the store... he was able to get about $200 (over 2 months) worth of product...

Yes, Home Depot is our go-to... and when we had our bathroom re-done a couple of months ago, we used Re-Bath - from Home Depot... pics are on the profile.... they actually used real tile...

Carol
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I will never use Home Depot again.... they are the ones I purchased it from; they got my hard earned money then sloughed me off to the manufacturer and a third party delivery service both times.... and have been incredibly rude and useless on all calls and in store.... ... but... the second fridge just arrived a few minutes ago after a week and several hundred dollars worth of food in the garbage...; will see over next 24 hrs if it actually works, then.... I am going to take on HD - it's atrocious that we as consumers, buy a product whether it be a dollar or 20,000 dollars, and if it's defective, we're expected to just suck it up and live with it and too bad so sad if it caused you any inconvenience/damage/injury etc. I'm done being nice; and I'm done being a sucker brushed off by these huge corporations not standing behind their product and ensuring customer satisfaction. The war is on.
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    I'm sorry that you had such a hard time with home depot. ....I guess we were lucky. ..

We got our appliances at Sears. ...

We love Kenmore. ... that's what my parents had. ..guess it's a family thing. ..:)