new here and a long road to travel

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. I am 36 years old and am 5'8". I weigh 354 lbs. I feel like it is time to poop or get off the pot. I have been halfway trying for many years to lose weight and change my life style. I am hoping to find the support and accountibility. I would love to make some new friends for this journey so feel free to add me.

Replies

• XWhitneysWorldX
    XWhitneysWorldX Posts: 11 Member
    Hi there,

I am new to this group as well and am looking to lose at least 160lbs. I have tried dieting once before and did pretty well but I ended up gaining the weight back and then some. I am hoping to find support as well to help me through this weight loss journey.
  • Good morning,

I am also new to this group. I believe I have been in the group for about 2 weeks. I know the weight issue is hard for everyone. But I feel someone who is in the same boat as me understands me better then someone who only has to lose 20 pounds. And that is not saying that 20 pounds is any easier. But for me losing 20 pound sounds like a dream since I need to lose 180 pounds. That is why I like this group because I can relate to people here. I have been on MFP for a year. I was going to a doctor to help with weight loss and she gave me medication and I was dropping the weight. But the medicine was increase my heart rate and life happens. So, I stopped going. I gained all the weight back plus 10 pounds all in the last year. The groups are nice because you can read what other people are going through and what they are doing and try that to see if it works for you. Now remember I struggle everyday with my emotions and physically being 180 pounds over weight. I can tell you why I got here and give you all my medical reason too. In this last year I was still using all that as an excuse but I have to stop using my excuses why I got here and start doing something about it. Like you said poop or get off the pot. So, this time around what I am doing which is helping me is every morning I get up and I write something on my status. I'm not doing this so that everyone will comment on it. But it's my way of making me to be accountable for my choices for the day. Then at the end of the day I write how my day went the good and the bad. This makes me see in black and white what I am doing or not doing. This seems to be helping me. The other thing I do. I write in my blog as a my journal. Again, I'm not doing it for people to comment on my struggles. But it is where I'm writing down my emotional struggles I'm going through at the time and things that I'm trying to let go (forgive). For me every pound I lose represents or is an emotion, or issue that I have stuffed inside and it comes out when I'm working out and requires me to face it and deal with it (not easy).

That is what is working for me right now. I wish you all the best if you want to friend me please do. I am on this site off and on all day. If you need someone to talk to I am here.

Good luck. Have a great weekend. Looking forward to reading about your journey.
  • KValmera71
    KValmera71 Posts: 82 Member
    Welcome ladies! I have been on the same journey as you all. SW 345 lbs, CW 303. Although I have taken this journey many times (like yourselves), this is the longest I have stayed on track and at my lowest weight in over 10 yrs! I never could seem to get under 320 without completely sabotaging myself in some fashion and giving up. I will be honest, even with 40+ lbs gone, it's still a big struggle. Everyday I face temptations, some days are worse than others and some days, I give in. But I always make myself get back on track. I think about what I have accomplished and the decisions it took to get this initial 40 lbs off. Then I pull a self guilt trip. I'll cry, get angry and then I go to the bathroom, lock the door. I take a very deep breath, take off my clothes and bare my soul to the lady in the mirror. Maybe that is not a conventional method but seeing yourself naked and exposed physically and emotionally is sort of a soul cleansing. I learn to love myself a little more each time. It works. Do not ask me how, but it does. Maybe it's exposing the hurt, the pain, the emotionally draining "other me" that I am fighting on a daily basis that gives me back a little confidence and determination. Whatever it is, it's helping me this time around. I have a long, a very long journey ahead. It at times can feel very overwhelming, very unrealistic, impossible but if I have managed to get this 40 lbs off, why can't I manage another 40? Then another?

I will add each of you as we ALL have something in common and sharing this journey and supporting one another is really something we all need. :)
  • skinnychristylee
    skinnychristylee Posts: 12 Member
    Hi there. I started about 20 days ago :-) We are about the same. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! Support from people who understand is immeasureable!
  • justcindy59
    justcindy59 Posts: 904 Member
    I remember what it felt like at 20 days in. When I joined this group about 90 days ago it wasn't very active. My starting weight was 362 pounds and I'm only 4'9 inches tall. I made myself stay in the day and not even think about the next day let alone months from now. Today I'm more active, most of the time happy instead of depressed and feeling full of hope. We can all do this, the support is great here and it's really fun watching all the pounds being dropped. You can add me, I'm here every day .
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Welcome! Be sure to read and participate in other threads. Having the support of others working towards getting healthier is helpful. And justcindy is right, the activity on here varies. While it says there are 1235 members, there are just a handful of active posters. Maybe we should start a current members intro thread again to see who is active.