What I learned....

Options
I learned a VERY important lesson last night which also taught me a second lesson. I need to log my food or what I intend to eat before I eat it. I went WAY over on calories but (and this is the second lesson) I am not going to worry about going over on calories because three weeks ago, I wasn't eating half as much as what I'm eating now. This way of life (trying to not use the word "diet") is really teaching me to be patient with myself. The scale isn't being as great as it was the first week. Initially I wanted to be upset. How could I have not lost at least three pounds this week? Well, I know there were days where I didn't get all my water in and there were days where I didn't eat as much. I know that I am doing the best that I can now. I'm eating better and I'm exercising a whole lot more than I ever have in my life. I can see the results. I just need to continue to be patient. I need to remember the promise that I made to myself and that was to not give up this time. I can feel success waiting for me. I just need to stay calm and keto on!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >The scale isn't being as great as it was the first week. Initially I wanted to be upset. How could I have not lost at least three pounds this week?

First week of any diet is usually water loss, either from eating less processed foods (sodium, carbs) and in keto's case obviously less carbs.
    I think every gram of carbohydrate carries like 3g of water?

Think about the energy balance equation too. A pound of fat is 3500 calories ... so to lose 3 lbs in 1 week you'd have to be at a -1500 deficit PER DAY for the whole week! Pretty hard to maintain that pace for most folks.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Do be patient. Some just lose more slowly than others, period. I, myself am a case in point. I've lost only about 10lbs, and i've been keto-ing since late august. Its the health benefits that do it for me...reduced inflammation and pain, and a general sense of greater well-being. BUT....I've lost MANY inches, around 17 or so. I'll take the inches over the scale weight any day because the scale is an evil being that is sent to test our sanity with its deception and lies.

Keep going. You are worth every slather of butter.
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I feel like I've been tied to the scale my whole life. I don't know how to let go. My trainer has told me not to weigh myself for a couple of days but this habit is like breathing. I don't even know that I'm getting on the scale until I'm on it. Ironically, my scale isn't really working anymore and I just about had a panic attack. I know. I'm more important than the number on the scale and it's all about being healthy but I've been a number for over 30 years. It's hard to break that habit. I've lost weight and inches, I know this but my comfort (for now) lies in that number. It controls me and how I feel about myself. I just have to find a way to convince myself that my success should not be judged by that number. Can anyone refer a hypnotist? I may have to have that part of my brain shocked or lobotomized.