In Hospital

Options
sickandfat
sickandfat Posts: 69 Member
Hi Everyone, I have had a setback. I just got out of the hospital yesterday. I had to have another stent put into my heart for a total of 14 now. Scary stuff. My lipids were better since I am doing my LCHF diet. My A1C had come down from 8.9 to 6.6 Yeah! My Cholesterol was 170, down from 199. My HDL was 37. My LDL was 73. My Triglycerides was way high 300??? I think that may be because my diet doctor said the first lipids may get higher until my body adjusts to my new diet. I sure hope so. The 300 is higher than I have had before!? Anyway, this is the very first time in the hospital that they did not have to give me anything for my sugar and that is just Great! I talked to the hospital diet person and she told me that I was doing the right diet for me and that my numbers would get better. I sure hope so. The heart cathe I had done was to replace an older sent before. I can tell all of you that I am a little scared. I am to see my heart doctor again on Dec. 30th. to talk about what can be done. He said that I have very bad genes. I think that I am on the right path as far as my diet goes and I am just taking it one day at a time.

I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving! I had a good one. Both my sons and 5 grandchildren came down to my house and I cooked and everything went well. Some of them liked my cauliflower (potato) salad. I made both kinds and my daughter-in-law got the cauliflower one and thought it was the real potato one. She thought it was good. I myself was good, I just ate too much of the good stuff. Ha! Ha!

One more thing, You would not guess what they gave me to eat in the hospital. All bad carbs. I am still wondering why my sugars stayed in check?? I am glad to be home and back on my diet before I got in trouble again. Please pray for me to keep going and Thank All Of You For Being There. It really helps me a lot.

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    sickandfat wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I have had a setback. I just got out of the hospital yesterday. I had to have another stent put into my heart for a total of 14 now. Scary stuff. My lipids were better since I am doing my LCHF diet. My A1C had come down from 8.9 to 6.6 Yeah! My Cholesterol was 170, down from 199. My HDL was 37. My LDL was 73. My Triglycerides was way high 300??? I think that may be because my diet doctor said the first lipids may get higher until my body adjusts to my new diet. I sure hope so. The 300 is higher than I have had before!? Anyway, this is the very first time in the hospital that they did not have to give me anything for my sugar and that is just Great! I talked to the hospital diet person and she told me that I was doing the right diet for me and that my numbers would get better. I sure hope so. The heart cathe I had done was to replace an older sent before. I can tell all of you that I am a little scared. I am to see my heart doctor again on Dec. 30th. to talk about what can be done. He said that I have very bad genes. I think that I am on the right path as far as my diet goes and I am just taking it one day at a time.

I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving! I had a good one. Both my sons and 5 grandchildren came down to my house and I cooked and everything went well. Some of them liked my cauliflower (potato) salad. I made both kinds and my daughter-in-law got the cauliflower one and thought it was the real potato one. She thought it was good. I myself was good, I just ate too much of the good stuff. Ha! Ha!

One more thing, You would not guess what they gave me to eat in the hospital. All bad carbs. I am still wondering why my sugars stayed in check?? I am glad to be home and back on my diet before I got in trouble again. Please pray for me to keep going and Thank All Of You For Being There. It really helps me a lot.
    S&F;

So sorry to hear about your setback and wishing for a quick, speedy, and, complete recovery.

VERY proud of you though for all the "positive" changes you've brought about and that's what you need to focus on - it'll just keep getting "better" and there could be no better confirmation for you that you are on the right "track" and your efforts paying off.

There truly is nothing worse than "hospital food" (at most of them at least) and while I certainly "hope" they know what they're doing, it does baffle the mind at times.

This too will pass and then it's on to brighter days - keep the faith!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Glad you are out and your numbers are improving. Exciting the medical staff now are supporting our low carb way of living more than ever. Thanks again for posting the details.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Saying some words for you to the Big Guy Upstairs.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Thank all of you so much. I am unable to type for a few days with my right hand. I can only use my left hand and it is way too slow. My cathe was done in my right wrist and needs to heal a few days before bending etc. I am a little weak but I know that I will recover well. Just takes a while.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    S&F, Thank you for the advice and I hear you and I do understand what you are saying. I am scared and I really don't know what or how to eat anymore. I have always thought that a low carb low fat diet would be best for a person in my condition but I have been told that you cannot do low carb and low fat at the same time? That it just want work? That you have to do either or? I had tried the low fat for years and it did not work for me. That is why I am trying the LCHF diet. I don't know what else to do?

If I do a heart diet or a diabetic diet I stay hungry all the time, my sugar goes way high and that is not good on the heart either. The heart diet is low fat, whole grains, and fruit. The diabetic diet is anything you want as long as it is low fat, low sugar or sugar free and a carb count of 120 per day and if I do that many carbs, then I am hungry because my sugar is high and I have to take a lot more medicine.

So as you can see that is why I have been trying to do the LCHF diet. I am under a doctors care for this LCHF diet. I was scared to do it on my own because of my heart condition.

The new stent (number 14) happened because one of the older stents went bad? No doubt at my age and health condition I know that I am broken and I am just trying to be as healthy as I can be. I have a husband with Parkinsons that I have to look after. I have to keep going and am hoping and praying something will work right for me.

My lipids are looking better and that is a good thing. When I was in the hospital they did not have to give me any meds. for my sugar for the first time. If my Triglycerides numbers were lower then I would be pleased. My diet doctor told me that when you do a keto diet that at first blood count would be higher, so it did not surprise me. He said that the Triglycerides would come down. God I hope so.

I am asking anyone and everyone to say a prayer for me.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me your blood work shows LCHF works for you! I will send prayers & positive thoughts!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Oh, no. Get well soon. Thoughts & prayers with you and your husband.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    S&F, Thank you for the advice and I hear you and I do understand what you are saying. I am scared and I really don't know what or how to eat anymore. I have always thought that a low carb low fat diet would be best for a person in my condition but I have been told that you cannot do low carb and low fat at the same time? That it just want work? That you have to do either or? I had tried the low fat for years and it did not work for me. That is why I am trying the LCHF diet. I don't know what else to do?

If I do a heart diet or a diabetic diet I stay hungry all the time, my sugar goes way high and that is not good on the heart either. The heart diet is low fat, whole grains, and fruit. The diabetic diet is anything you want as long as it is low fat, low sugar or sugar free and a carb count of 120 per day and if I do that many carbs, then I am hungry because my sugar is high and I have to take a lot more medicine.

So as you can see that is why I have been trying to do the LCHF diet. I am under a doctors care for this LCHF diet. I was scared to do it on my own because of my heart condition.

The new stent (number 14) happened because one of the older stents went bad? No doubt at my age and health condition I know that I am broken and I am just trying to be as healthy as I can be. I have a husband with Parkinsons that I have to look after. I have to keep going and am hoping and praying something will work right for me.

My lipids are looking better and that is a good thing. When I was in the hospital they did not have to give me any meds. for my sugar for the first time. If my Triglycerides numbers were lower then I would be pleased. My diet doctor told me that when you do a keto diet that at first blood count would be higher, so it did not surprise me. He said that the Triglycerides would come down. God I hope so.

I am asking anyone and everyone to say a prayer for me.

He's right that they can be a little higher, especially if you're actively losing weight. This is in part due to the fact that the muscles can use fats for fuel. That said, I suspect that's not what's going on here.

Often, triglycerides (and LDL) are not measured directly, but calculated from the other numbers. LCHF and the resulting effects on cholesterol often break that formula and produce an artificially high number. If it will put you at ease, talk to your doctor about getting re-tested and specify that all of the numbers should be measured directly.

And that's correct, you can't do low carb, low fat sustainably. Your body needs fuel, and it's hard on the body to make that fuel from protein (especially as a primary fuel source). You also need fat or carb sources to get nutrients, and you need fat to absorb a number of those nutrients. You simply can't get that from living almost entirely off of protein. See also: protein poisoning (aka rabbit starvation or mal de caribou), for the extreme end.

Also, I recommend watching this video, which describes why we've been told for decades that fat is bad, and why that advice is so horribly wrong (hint - it had nothing to do with actual science).