Keto vs calories question

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
I just recently went from a high protein/low carb diet to true keto and I was curious. I was already at 1,200 calories before and had plateaued on weight loss at that. My MBR is 1,765 cal/day and at a sedentary exercise level they estimated that I was using 2,118 cal/day, so 1,200 was where I needed to be for a goal 2 lb/wk loss on just calories, but I've read some people saying that they are eating 3-4,000 cal/day and still losing a lot of weight.

So I'm curious, what do those of you doing keto diets set your calorie deficit at?

Replies

• SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow. I don't think I could possibly eat 3-4K in calories per day. I try to keep my daily intake around 1800-2000 calories, and I'm never hungry. But I might have to up it a bit. Right now I'm losing about a half pound a day, which is a lot. I hit a brief plateau a couple of weeks ago, but for the most part the weight has been falling off pretty steady since I started.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    Wow. I don't think I could possibly eat 3-4K in calories per day. I try to keep my daily intake around 1800-2000 calories, and I'm never hungry. But I might have to up it a bit. Right now I'm losing about a half pound a day, which is a lot. I hit a brief plateau a couple of weeks ago, but for the most part the weight has been falling off pretty steady since I started.

Start weight/current weight/time frame?

3.5lbs/wk is a pretty fast rate. Are you lifting weights to help combat loose skin?
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Start weight/current weight/time frame?

3.5lbs/wk is a pretty fast rate. Are you lifting weights to help combat loose skin?
    Starting weight: 272
    Current weight: 247
    Goal weight: 185
    Time frame: 30 days

It's very fast. I lost it even faster in the first 10 days, but now it's slowed down to 3.5 pounds a week.

Most of my life I've had a very high metabolism. Up until 10 years ago, I was one of those guys who could eat anything and not gain an ounce. I only started packing on the pounds when I quit smoking and switched to a desk job. Now I have diabetes and am paying the piper.

There's some loose skin, but it's not bad yet. As for exercise, I start a weight training program a week from tomorrow (the gym is still being built). Currently I'm doing what I can at home, including crunches, sit-ups, stationary biking, and just walking a lot.

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My calories are set at 1,600 but I rarely meet that number. Eating a diet high in fat keeps me full. I have to say that I don't really focus on my calories though. If I'm hungry I will eat more without consequences.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 1700. That level keeps me pretty happy. I have many days I don't meet it, and others that I go over...its basically a wash. I lose really slow, regardless of calories, so I figure I may as well eat more and be happy about it, rather than eat less and be pissed off all the time.