new here...

Options
russlynne
russlynne Posts: 40 Member
Hi, I'm a 60 year old married mother of 3 adult children and my second grandchild on the way. I would love to actually transform my evening couch experience to a (hopefully) running experience. 6 years ago I weighed 265 lbs. and went through Gastric Bypass Surgery and went to 135 which was extreme for me (I felt frail) 150 was my goal but recently my weight has crept to 175.
I joined MFP yesterday and it HAS opened my eyes to how many calories I was truly eating. which isnt so bad if I had an exercise routine. My DIL runs and has done several 5K's and I'd love to be able to join her.
My concern is the damage that years of excessive weight has done to my (primarily) left knee.
I probably should start with walking then adding some running spurts into it as I can.
I just DO NOT want to really damage my knee to where I cannot run.
Do you suggest wrapping it. (It will CRUNCH/GRIND....with stabbing momentary PAIN!! sometimes if I'm not careful with how I walk....) I want to strengthen my knee to support the joint. Suggestions on excercises that would help support/strengthen the knee would be helpful.
Thanks for listening to an old lady ramble.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited for you! This is a great place to help learn how to eat right for you and to get inspired to exercise in new ways. I'm going to bump up the "What to do before C25k" topic for you.

In terms of your knee, I'm going to suggest you ask your doctor because that's the right thing to do.

I'm also going to direct you to the more experienced runners board: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/64-happy-feet-runners-unite-

The Couch to 5k board is very supportive and can be helpful in offering insights to new runner's experiences, but most of the people on here have been running for less than 9 weeks. We're generally not experienced enough to offer good amateur advice about more complicated issues.