How old is too old for a decent physique?

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think you have to change your lifestyle and eating habits so you don't get into your old ways and old weights. I'm trying to make permanent changes for the long run so any gains I make will stay and not disappear the second I stop some fad diet or some fad exercise program that I hate. Make sense?

Agreed. I'm not really denying myself anything, and I've been lucky to find a diet that works for my macros and calories that rarely, if ever, leaves me hungry. I find myself in the IIFYM camp. I eat a lot of veg, salad, fruit and lean protein, but if I want a bowl of ice cream every night, and I can fit it in my goals, dammit I'm going to eat it. Frankly, I could eat like this the rest of my life, even without increasing to maintenance calories, and still be happy.

Once I decide to switch to maintenance, I'll do so slowly, adding 100 calories per day each month. As I see my weight level out, I'll stop at that number of daily calories and monitor and tweak from there.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Really?! Have you looked around this site?

Sidesteel is your age! I have a couple of guys on my FL who are older than you and *smoking hot* (not that I notice) :wink: . And they are everywhere. And don't even get me started on the women!
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Sidesteel is your age! I have a couple of guys on my FL who are older than you and *smoking hot* (not that I notice) :wink: . And they are everywhere. And don't even get me started on the women!

Oh I know. But I didn't know when Sidesteel started to get ripped like that, or what his starting point was.

Trust me, if I can end up with a bod like SS, I'll be delighted. As will the wife ;)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Oh I know. But I didn't know when Sidesteel started to get ripped like that, or what his starting point was.

Trust me, if I can end up with a bod like SS, I'll be delighted. As will the wife ;)

Yeah but then you'll be getting creeper messages.

And you can ask SS... not all of the creeper messages are from girls either :D
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

:laugh:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I'm not really denying myself anything, and I've been lucky to find a diet that works for my macros and calories that rarely, if ever, leaves me hungry. I find myself in the IIFYM camp. I eat a lot of veg, salad, fruit and lean protein, but if I want a bowl of ice cream every night, and I can fit it in my goals, dammit I'm going to eat it. Frankly, I could eat like this the rest of my life, even without increasing to maintenance calories, and still be happy.

Funny you should mention ice cream. Sara eats ice cream every, freaking, day:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Sarauk2sf?date=2013-05-28
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

QFT!! Don't let age be an excuse- you've got this!!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I realized at about your age that I was hopelessly out of shape. Years of working 65+ hour work weeks, client entertainment dinners and drinking, and a desk job had taken their toll. I don't know how big I was but I'd estimate 245 pounds and I had at least a 40 inch waist. I'm only 5'10". I started by walking, moved on to weight training with a basic split routine I used when I was younger, then moved on to trying to run. I say trying because I'm also asthmatic and it took a lot of effort to expand my lung capacity. I crossed the 40 year barrier at the end of last year with visible abs, I run 3-4 times a week, and I lift 4 days a week. I will tell you though without any hesitation that is is diet that is absolutely the most important part.

This is great to hear, as we have roughly the same starting point. Many thanks for the encouragement. I pay a lot of attention to my diet, lift three times a week, and run 3 miles 3 times a week. It sounds like there is hope!

There's definitely hope. Just keep at it. You'll get to a point where you realize that you only have a few more pounds to lose and you'll stop recognizing yourself in the mirror. Keeping up with my kids is the real gift though.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    There's definitely hope. Just keep at it. You'll get to a point where you realize that you only have a few more pounds to lose and you'll stop recognizing yourself in the mirror. Keeping up with my kids is the real gift though.

I've reached the point of keeping up with my kids... and then overtook them. I used to get worn out playing with them at the park. Now they whiiiiine at me: "Daaaaaad, we're tiiired. Can we go home now?"
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I've reached the point of keeping up with my kids... and then overtook them. I used to get worn out playing with them at the park. Now they whiiiiine at me: "Daaaaaad, we're tiiired. Can we go home now?"

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 34 soon and I'm the fittest and lightest I've ever been. Ever.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

I sent a creeper-ish note to someone, admitting I was old enough to be his mother :blushing: , and he was just glad it wasn't a bloke for once!

As for age and physique I'm sure genes and previous life experience have a part to play at any age. I'm not that fussed about getting a particular type of body, but I would like to get stronger as I get older, now that I see how that would help in old age.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Whatever my potential, I plan to keep working at this. I'm down from 220lb to 165lb, 40 inch waist trousers to 32 inch, and certainly much happier with myself. I guess this morning I just found myself wondering how much longer I can keep this up, and whether I'll hit a minimum BF% which I can't get below. I'm currently in the high teens based on tape measure and US Navy calculation, so hopefully I'll be able to keep going for a while yet.

I started when I was just about to turn 33 and I'm now in the best shape of my life. I am now focusing on how I feel and my performance rather than the damned number of the scale and that in itself is super liberating! IMO the key to the bank is truly in the lifestyle change.

I noticed above you said "I guess this morning I just found myself wondering how much longer I can keep this up," Is there something in you current regime that is not working well for you? Perhaps it was just my interpretation of what you wrote though because in your other posts you seem very happy with your diet and exercise :smile:

In any event, I think anything is possible and you are in no way, shape, or form "old" so just keep on keepin' on :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Dang. I love to have a tag line... "I'm so hot, I get creeper messages from other guys". hahaha
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regardless of age you can always make you a better you.

For the record I'm 35 and I will hit the 3 year mark in September. Started around 200lb and skinny fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

For the record I'm 35 and I will hit the 3 year mark in September. Started around 200lb and skinny fat.

Fish not biting?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Is 35 too old....

Get off my lawn, ya young whippersnapper! :laugh:
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I'm 165lb and definitely skinny fat. I'm thinking the BF% method I'm using is underestimating, because I was expecting to be much leaner than I am at allegedly sub-20% BF. I guess that's what got me thinking this morning and I stood in front of the mirror with a handful of gut fat.

Perhaps I'll put some photos up on the BF% estimation threads and get your opinions. It's going to be hard going back up a few points though!

On this image, I'd say I resemble the 25% guy, not the 20% guy -

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Fish not biting?

Not today. Two northerns and a perch previously. Out in the sun all afternoon, had to come in and eat all the foods. Abs almost gone.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should start being a creeper......hmmmm......it's definitely something to think about :wink:
This discussion has been closed.