Wrist Limitations

Options
Pearowl
Pearowl Posts: 48 Member
So, I'm interested in delving into some heavier lifting, but I have weak wrists- in the sense that I can no longer do an entire yoga class because I can't support my own weight on my hands. I'm also just coming off a distal radial fracture. It healed well and I have been out of a cast for two weeks. Any tips from people with a similar problem or just some friendly advice?

As for h/w I am 5'4" and currently weigh 161. I'm usually about 140 but this has been a challenging year for my personal life!

Thanks!

Replies

• museumnerd1
    Options
    I also have wrist issues and the best I can say is take it slowly and listen to your body. I have a chronic right capitate fracture (one of the tiny wrist bones) that bothers me when I work it too hard. I also can't hold my body weight for extended periods without some pain. I have generally noticed, however, that my hand strength in both hands has improved doing weight training. My grip is stronger and I can hold the bar with much heavier weight without issue than when I began. And of course, when in doubt, talk to your doc!
  • Pearowl
    Pearowl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight! Will definitely start out small and work my way up.
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from a wrist surgery after about 3 years of chronic tendonitis. I had to stop lifting when my wrist got bad, but now that I've had the surgery I'm trying to get back into it. I am just taking it easy and easing my way back in slowly. It's hard because I want to jump back into lifting heavy, but I know I have to pace myself. Just be patient, give yourself time to heal, and don't do anything that is really painful.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's a long haul unfortunately. I had chronic tendonitis from like 2008 for 3 years. It took lots of stretching and not pushing my wrists. When I got into lifting right away my wrists were having issues so it took lots of adjustments and being very cautious of form as well as working up with light weight. Something like OHP will mess up my wrists if the bar is held wrong, or rows if I curl my wrists. I started lifting heavy on and off since 2012 and in 2013 my wrists stopped being a PITA while lifting.

Now it's rare if I get wrist pain. I try my best to practice good wrist health (good keyboard, taking breaks, stretching). If I have pain, I take off a few days until my wrists feel 100% before lifting.
  • girlnamedsarah
    girlnamedsarah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I had this problem too. Know I kind of think of them as growing pains. I just kept low weight and lots of reps. It took almost 2 months before it went away. It never her per se, but it definitely was uncomfortable. They hurt a little now that I've upped my weights significantly.
  • iambold
    iambold Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    following. working on strengthening to do more in all areas.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    In my heavy bag class, they often make us alternate rounds on the bag with rounds of body-weight exercises. Doing push-ups and planks with boxing gloves on feels awful at first, but nothing has done more for my wrist strength. You could get a similar effect by doing them on your fists or using dumbbells as "handles."