DOMS - They will Come! Get Prepared...

Options
beautifulciera
beautifulciera Posts: 202 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
You just crushed a really hard workout. You upped the load of your training, or you stepped out of your routine and tried a new activity. You feel great -- until you wake up the next morning, barely able to move.

Enter delayed onset muscle soreness, better known as DOMS. It's an acronym that athletes and fitness buffs wear with pride.

As its name suggests, "DOMS is muscle soreness that becomes evident six-to-eight hours following activity, peaking around 24 to 48 hours post-training," says Jon Mike, an exercise scientist at the University of New Mexico. While the symptoms will often start to diminish at about 72 hours, "the precise time course and extent of DOMS is highly variable," Mike says.
DOMS is most pronounced when you introduce a new training stimulus -- a new activity, increased intensity or volume -- or if you are new to physical activity in general.

5 Myths of DOMS
  1. DOMS is caused by the build-up of lactic acid.
  2. It's not a good workout unless you get DOMS.
  3. The more fit you are, the less susceptible you are to DOMS.
  4. Muscle damage is a bad thing.
  5. Pre- and post-workout stretching is a good way to prevent and treat DOMS.

to read more http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/muscle-soreness-myths/

Replies

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Man, I think my tricepts have gone past DOMS and into plotting my death today. lol
  • beautifulciera
    Options
    I can barely walk...trying to not limp as much and just walk it out. It's not a good feeling, but at the same time it is :smile: ~~ The feeling of progress, you know normally when I get DOMS, I take 3 to 4 days to recover and then end up quitting all together. Not happening this time!! No Pain No Gain!
  • JeriAnne84
    Options
    Exactly!! Just stick with it! The cool thing about Body Revolution is the next time you do workout 1, it will probably be a bit easier. The last time you do workout 1, you'll probably think "pfft that's not so bad".
  • beautifulciera
    Options
    That's how I felt with the Cardio 1 last night...It didn't have the same effect as the first time..especially that dreadful mummy walk hop she has us doing lol. I did a youtube test drive last week of Cardio 1, and when I finally did it on Day 1 it didn't feel the same...and the mummy hop wasn't as dreadful lol..
  • qhiggins86
    qhiggins86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing the kickstart so I did cardio for the first time on Monday and holy crap... It better get easier by tomorrow or else I may be throwing up all over my living room! That dvd is so hard!!! :s
  • JeriAnne84
    Options
    Cardio 1 gets so much easier, trust me! By the end I was doing it and the only time I had to stop was to take my inhaler! When I started I'd have to take little 5 second breaks here and there to keep from throwing up. lol
  • beautifulciera
    Options
    because of my test drive last week, Monday was cool, but it wasn't that bad, Tuesday I was killing it, but this morning>>> wooow...I felt like I would die! Maybe I just had a bad night or something....
  • qhiggins86
    qhiggins86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I already noticed an improvement with the push ups. I'm doing them on my knees, but I could barely do any the first time. Yesterday I was able to do a lot more, but I couldn't keep up with the pace of the athletes. I'm excited to see where I am on Saturday when I do that dvd again!
  • beautifulciera
    Options
    Yes me too. Today is Day 3.... 7 days from know I'll be on beast mode lol jk