My BMF is 800+ calories off!

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
I've suspected from the first that my BMF is reporting burns that are hundreds too high (it says I burn 2500 most days. I am female, 130 lbs, 47 yo, small framed, short, and at best lightly active most days). I have to show a deficit of at least 1000 calories a day to lose even a fraction of a pound per week. I gain whe I eat anywhere near what BMF says.

So I got a Misfit Flash this week. It reports burns 800 cals less per day than the BMF. That is in line with what happens in my body, and with most calculators.

It makes me so angry that the expensive BMF is marketed as soooo accurate. The only thing I have found that it does for me is help me GAIN an unintended 10+ pounds! I contacted the company three separate times and got no help or support. Even when they acknowledged that the numbers were not logical.

Yes, it is my fault for not making what I knew were the right choices, but I so wanted the thing to work. My activity can be quite variable from day to day and I thought it would help.

I will continue to wear it for a few weeks for comparison, but I will be happily deactivating my Bodymedia account soon. The money I will save on the monthly subscription will very quickly pay for my new Misfit.

Replies

• aismail85
    aismail85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Happy BodyMedia user here, with 55 pounds lost using it, and keeping it off for 6 months. Let me know if I can assist you to double check their computations, so that at least you don't come out of this clueless and frustrated.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The last straw for me was the day it said I burned 2500 calories when in reality I missed my workout that day and sat at my computer typing for several hours. When I looked at my graph, it reported typing as moderate activity. (at 130 lbs, most calculators predict a daily calorie burn of about 1400 without a workout!)

No idea why it was so far off, but it is gone now!