Lifting and Eating

Nayners21
Nayners21 Posts: 76 Member
Because this is a strength/lifting group I am hoping someone in here might be eating based on their macros (IIFYM/flexible dieting)? If so, has eating according to your macros improved your body composition while strength training?

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Well, I'm bulking right now, so my macros probably seem skewed. I'm eating 2700 cals/day with >135g protein, >75g fat, and the rest carb, which, at the moment equals out to about 55/25/20 c/f/p. When I cut, however, I'll be eating 2000 cals/day with a ratio or 30/45/25 c/f/p.

But, yeah, I follow my macros and eat lots of nutritious, whole foods...and pizza and ice cream.
  • Nayners21
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Well, I'm bulking right now, so my macros probably seem skewed. I'm eating 2700 cals/day with >135g protein, >75g fat, and the rest carb, which, at the moment equals out to about 55/25/20 c/f/p. When I cut, however, I'll be eating 2000 cals/day with a ratio or 30/45/25 c/f/p.

But, yeah, I follow my macros and eat lots of nutritious, whole foods...and pizza and ice cream.
    Good to hear! I am for sure not bulking. I am trying to lose weight. I am still a little skeptical on it considering I only see women who, to me, don't look fat, but just want to transform their definition. But I have been told by several people to stick with it and throw the damn scale away. I'm on day 2.... ugh!

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Nayners21 wrote: »

Good to hear! I am for sure not bulking. I am trying to lose weight. I am still a little skeptical on it considering I only see women who, to me, don't look fat, but just want to transform their definition. But I have been told by several people to stick with it and throw the damn scale away. I'm on day 2.... ugh!

In the end, it's all about calories in and calories out. What's important, especially in a cut, is to make sure you're getting adequate protein (.8-1g/lb of body weight) and fat (about .4g/body weight). The rest you can fill up however you want.
  • Nayners21
    Nayners21 wrote: »

In the end, it's all about calories in and calories out. What's important, especially in a cut, is to make sure you're getting adequate protein (.8-1g/lb of body weight) and fat (about .4g/body weight). The rest you can fill up however you want.

Right now I am eating 140 grams of protein 140 grams Carbs, 78 grams Fat. I was told to eat 1 gram per pound of "goal body weight" and to keep in mind your lean body mass. What are your thoughts?
  • TurboTam
    TurboTam Posts: 174 Member
    I'm also cutting using macros. Currently 155.8 g protein; 155.8 g carbs; 34.6g fat. I lift 4-5x a week and fit in cardio 2-3x which is usually 30-45 min of kickboxing or 45 min on the treadmill. I've noticed more changes in the way my body looks than I've seen on the scale, but that is going down too, just slowly, which is ideal for a healthy lifestyle.
  • Nayners21
    TurboTam wrote: »
    I'm also cutting using macros. Currently 155.8 g protein; 155.8 g carbs; 34.6g fat. I lift 4-5x a week and fit in cardio 2-3x which is usually 30-45 min of kickboxing or 45 min on the treadmill. I've noticed more changes in the way my body looks than I've seen on the scale, but that is going down too, just slowly, which is ideal for a healthy lifestyle.

Awesome to hear!!! How long did it take for you to notice your body changing while eating with those numbers? And were you perfect every single time? My problem is weekends. Im going on week #2 of eating my macros. I feel better, but still looking for the changes.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I follow a macro-based program with carb timing called Eat to Perform. It is more for sports-type athletes than body builders though, in my opinion (hence the "performance" portion of the name). I have lost approx. 10% body fat in the last year while eating at maintenance and staying the same weight on the scale. I have gained a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat. There is a fat-loss program that they do as well but it requires more rest days than I take (less carbs & cals those days). I've also seen a lot of strength gains in powerlifting and many PR's in my Crossfit workouts.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I follow a macro-based program with carb timing called Eat to Perform. It is more for sports-type athletes than body builders though, in my opinion (hence the "performance" portion of the name). I have lost approx. 10% body fat in the last year while eating at maintenance and staying the same weight on the scale. I have gained a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat. There is a fat-loss program that they do as well but it requires more rest days than I take (less carbs & cals those days). I've also seen a lot of strength gains in powerlifting and many PR's in my Crossfit workouts.

I'm more of the Lift Big Eat Big school of thought. I have no desire to see a 6 pack. I have a desire to see big numbers on a barbell.
  • TurboTam
    TurboTam Posts: 174 Member

Awesome to hear!!! How long did it take for you to notice your body changing while eating with those numbers? And were you perfect every single time? My problem is weekends. Im going on week #2 of eating my macros. I feel better, but still looking for the changes. [/quote]

I noticed within a couple weeks. No, I'm not always perfect, it's hard this time of year so when I'm not following the macros within a gram or so (I try to stay within that range for the most part) I just make sure and count my calories. Calories in/calories out, just make sure to burn more than you consume if you want to lose. I plan on doing the entire month of January within my macros because I know I'll get good results. Life happens though so don't kick yourself in the butt, just jump back on your plan.

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    I follow macro guidance as well, but HFLCMP so my ratios are apx 30% protein (1g per pound lean body mass), <50g net carbs (35g fiber goal), and the rest from fat. I started out 30# over and have about 12 to go. According to regular caliper measurements I have not suffered any lbm loss while eating at a deficit. Secondly, I don't experience "crashes" which is great!

I follow Wendler 531 and also bike and run.