Sweeteners for baking/desserts?

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
I've been trying to come up with some good "treat" substitutes to have while my family is gorging on cookies and candies this Christmas. I've noticed that some of the low-carb/keto recipes call for Splenda, some for erythritol, some for liquid stevia, and some for Truvia. I've also read on the forums that all sugar substitutes are NOT counted the same when it comes to carbs. Which sweetener do you use for most of your goodies? How do you count it in your macros?

Replies

• myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Real erythritol, stevia - no impact.

But baking Truvia in the big green bag with the spout - those jerks mixed it with real sugar. Last I looked, the calories were about half those of sugar by volume.

Truvia in the smaller containers - no impact.

Splenda is something like 3cal per tiny packet. I avoid in typical meals, but use it in coffee if there is nothing else. Low-impact.
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have recently used the erythritol and have found that it doesn't cook as well as other sugar substitutes. I like Stevia though. Also, I have found that the no sugar syrup (used to flavor coffees) helps A LOT.
  • Mom2Birds
    Mom2Birds Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I mix cup for cup 1/2 Swerve and 1/2 Splenda. Its comes out really nicely :) At least I think so!
  • suehbca
    suehbca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have used Swerve and generic erythritol and prefer Swerve. I have Splenda granulated and it worked well in a cheesecake crust. I also purchased sucralose liquid EZ-Sweetz for a cheesecake recipe and it was great. I had to buy it through Amazon. I have pure stevia powder as some stevia products add sugar, monk fruit, and sugar alcohols, among other things. The one with monk fruit tasted the worst. Caveman Keto has a great cheesecake recipe, and I've tried some dessert recipes from the I breathe I'm hungry website as well. For the last, I've had to extend cooking times.
  • sheilaparsleyministries
    Options
    Sweet low