Corticosteroids and weight loss?

Options
Since I know a lot of people familiar with prednisone and the corticosteroid shot, I need to ask something. It's been about two to three years since I had it, and following it I had a cushing's reaction. I gained something insane, like 40 pounds in two weeks. Now, I was on other meds, all of which I've removed from my body at this point.
Recently, like around December last year, (I guess nearly a year ago!) I got off my remaining medications completely, then restarted with help from a doctor in the UK (same meds). Suddenly, and I mean suddenly, I lost 7 pounds in a week. I'm wondering if it's a coincidence, as the corticosteroid shot messes up your adrenals for around two years, or if it was something else. My sugar levels have returned to normal (except under extreme stress) which is a pretty big sign that cushings was part of the issue.
This comes down to this point I'm trying to get to. Today I've been on steroids for three days for a cold. I take a very low dose just to maintain my asthma during colds. I normally would expect to gain weight and look puffy on it, but instead, I checked and lost 4 pounds in about a week.
Normal?

Replies

• Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Late but, I feel you. I have to go on oral Prednisone when my asthma gets really bad. The first time I was on it I didn't know what it did to one's appetite/metabolism, and I gained 10 pounds in a week!

In addition to completely screwing up my appetite it also makes me REALLY REALLY irritable.

What I like to do is increase my corticosteroid inhaler during colds, instead of going on oral steroids. I normally take Advair 250/50, but when I'm battling a cold (or other asthma trigger) I jump up to the higher dose of 500/50. It's really helped me avoid prednisone - haven't had to take it in 3 or 4 years now! :) Good luck! I hope things have resolved back to normal for you.