Hey mods, I need your group join dates (and I have a bit of a rant)

Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
The rant, for non-mods:

OMG, I hate MFP sometimes... There are nearly ten thousand people in this group, right? There is no search function for the members! To add to that, they're sorted by join month/year. :wtf: But wait, it gets even better! It only shows about 25 people per page. Oh, and this group goes back to 2011. *facepalm*

So, mods! I need a month/year estimate for when you joined this group. Even if it's just within a couple of months of your actual join date, that'd at least narrow down the search to "haystack" from "whole f**ing farmland."

Thanks!

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    The rant, for non-mods:

OMG, I hate MFP sometimes... There are nearly ten thousand people in this group, right? There is no search function for the members! To add to that, they're sorted by join month/year. :wtf: But wait, it gets even better! It only shows about 25 people per page. Oh, and this group goes back to 2011. *facepalm*

So, mods! I need a month/year estimate for when you joined this group. Even if it's just within a couple of months of your actual join date, that'd at least narrow down the search to "haystack" from "whole f**ing farmland."

Thanks!
    March 2014 is when my diary starts BUT I think I was registered for MFP for a while before that (not sure).

For the Group.....a TOTAL GUESS would be April/May 2014

Sorry DW, wish I could be even a little bit more accurate but despite resent research showing definitively that brain cells ARE reborn - mine didn't get the memo yet<g>.

Is whatever you need (unless it's just the date) anything that might show on our end (although it doesn't look like there's much there either).?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    The group I moderate shows everyone with the same join date, which is a hoot. Good luck!
  • deansdad101
    The group I moderate shows everyone with the same join date, which is a hoot. Good luck!
    SS;

Is it the "reset" date for all the Forums/Groups?
    If I join today would it show the "same" join date as all the others or today?
    Shoot me a link if you would like me to try.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited December 2014
    I went and found myself for you. I'm on page 220, Join date of December 2013. December 6, 2013 11:17AM to be exact. Which was a Friday, when I probably was working. But, based on my recall, it was my lunch bread last year.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/members/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group/p220?filter=members

Good thing I went looking for it myself. I just remembered that I started keto on October 16, 2013. It was a while before I found this group. I hadn't used groups before, but got so frustrated dealing with the posts in the main forums that I went looking for friendlier grounds.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited December 2014
    I have also thrown together a quick and dirty script to scrape the information from the various pages and find the mods. If it works, I'll have everyone's join date and page link for you very shortly.

Done:
    deansdad101 is on page http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/members/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group/p284?filter=members

baconslave is on page http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/members/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group/p297?filter=members

frob23 is on page http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/members/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group/p220?filter=members
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    September 15 of this year, though I lurked in August before I decided to join.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/members/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group/p297?filter=members

Thanks, MFP. Those are moments of my life wasted that I'll never get back. LOL!
  • Dragonwolf
    frob23 wrote: »
    I have also thrown together a quick and dirty script to scrape the information from the various pages and find the mods. If it works, I'll have everyone's join date and page link for you very shortly.

Done:
    deansdad101 is on page http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/members/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group/p284?filter=members

baconslave is on page http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/members/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group/p297?filter=members

frob23 is on page http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/members/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group/p220?filter=members

That is awesome! Thanks man. You've got leader now, too, since I found you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    SS;

Not sure. It shows September 2012 for all the members, and the other Mod (who started the group) and 2013 for me.

ETA: I see this one shows November 2011 for everyone? Is that group start date?
  • FIT_Goat
    edited December 2014
    See, and my wife says my being a nerd has no benefits. LOL

Edit: It just occurred to me that this group is now almost twice as big as when I joined. We went through quite the growth spurt. There's 394 pages of members now, and I joined when there was 220.
  • Dragonwolf

*facepalm* ROFL. Thankfully, it's not that bad, though maybe if it did that, it'd be sorted by username? (That'd make too much sense, so I bet not...)
    SS;

I'm not sure what went on with her group, but ours shows all different dates, so I doubt it's the forum switch thing (or if it is, it doesn't happen consistently). It would be interesting to see what join date you get when joining her group, though. :grinning:
  • deansdad101
    edited December 2014
    Frob;

Ask her to check with her resident "nerd" <BG>,
    WHY the record page # changes????

Nice find but it really shouldn't be this difficult (not your fault of course).

Bacons record shows for me on page 296 not 297.

I'm not doubting that it's different only asking WHY/HOW???

Someplace, buried in what we can't see there has to be a record number the DB is referencing.

It'll be interesting to see if these page numbers change over time as are new records are added.

Anyway, problem solved for now and nice work sherlock (nerdlock?)<s>.

• deansdad101
    SS;

Not sure. It shows September 2012 for all the members, and the other Mod (who started the group) and 2013 for me.

ETA: I see this one shows November 2011 for everyone? Is that group start date?
    SS;

"Created date" in the sidebar shows as "Nov 2011" so it looks like it.

I just created a new group for test purposes (NOT to be in "competition" with LCD) so if I remember I'll add a member tomorrow and see what shows up.

• FIT_Goat
    Baconslave was the first person on page 297. When I was moved out of the general member list to the mod/leader list (because my status changed), it must have shifted everyone back one spot. I suspect the same thing would happen if someone left the group, everyone else would move back a little. Those who were first on a page would become last on the previous page. The page links given were for the state of the member list when I ran the script. If I ran it again now, it would show her on 296.
  • deansdad101

*facepalm* ROFL. Thankfully, it's not that bad, though maybe if it did that, it'd be sorted by username? (That'd make too much sense, so I bet not...)
    SS;

I'm not sure what went on with her group, but ours shows all different dates, so I doubt it's the forum switch thing (or if it is, it doesn't happen consistently). It would be interesting to see what join date you get when joining her group, though. :grinning:
    DW/SS;

Link?

• Sabine_Stroehm

SS;

DW/SS;

Link?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8279-south-beach-way-of-life
  • baconslave
    edited December 2014

Done:

Ah BAH! If I had waited a little while, frob would have done the work for me. I apparently entirely did that for no reason. Waaaahhhh! Oh well. That's life for you.
  • deansdad101

SS;

DW/SS;

Link?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8279-south-beach-way-of-life
    SS;

Done.
    As of right now it shows 9:43pm (eastern) today, on my end in the member list.

• Dragonwolf
    edited December 2014
    Baconslave was the first person on page 297. When I was moved out of the general member list to the mod/leader list (because my status changed), it must have shifted everyone back one spot. I suspect the same thing would happen if someone left the group, everyone else would move back a little. Those who were first on a page would become last on the previous page. The page links given were for the state of the member list when I ran the script. If I ran it again now, it would show her on 296.

DD ended up something like two pages back and in the middle. XD

But! It helped narrow things down infinitely farther and made life so much easier to get everyone promoted, so thank you, very much!
    Frob;

Someplace, buried in what we can't see there has to be a record number the DB is referencing.

It'll be interesting to see if these page numbers change over time as are new records are added.

It's generally actually coded as a relative thing. Each page basically says "get me (number of items per page) items, starting at (page number * number of items per page)." So if there are 25 items per page, and we want to get the ones for page 200, it would be "get me 25 items, starting from item 5000 (200*25)." So, if someone leaves (or gets pulled from that list, such as leader promotion) and was before record 5000, or joins and is placed before record 5000 (since it's sorted by join date, this won't happen on the MFP group member list, but can happen if it's sorted alphabetically), between the first and second times to ask for that information, then the selection of 25 that you get will be slightly different.

Anywho, everyone's promoted now. :smiling_imp:
  • baconslave

But! It helped narrow things down infinitely farther and made life so much easier to get everyone promoted, so thank you, very much!
    Frob;

It's generally actually coded as a relative thing. Each page basically says "get me (number of items per page) items, starting at (page number * number of items per page)." So if there are 25 items per page, and we want to get the ones for page 200, it would be "get me 25 items, starting from item 5000 (200*25)." So, if someone leaves (or gets pulled from that list, such as leader promotion) and was before record 5000, or joins and is placed before record 5000 (since it's sorted by join date, this won't happen on the MFP group member list, but can happen if it's sorted alphabetically), between the first and second times to ask for that information, then the selection of 25 that you get will be slightly different.

I await my orders, fearless leader. :mrgreen:
  • Dragonwolf
    baconslave wrote: »

Frob;

I await my orders, fearless leader. :mrgreen:

:grinning:

Here are your options for something to do:

1. Clear out the stickies From what I can tell, the only way is to remove the posts entirely. Given that they're so old, I don't see a problem with this, but we should go through them and keep a hold of things that are still useful. Copy the useful stuff out and save it somewhere, and we'll put it in our new stuff when we get there.
    2. Start writing the text for the new stickies (namely, the Welcome sticky and intros into other sections).
    3. Compile and organize things for the list-style stuff. Links to more detailed articles on specific topics, the most common questions for the FAQ, research papers, etc.

Feel free to do these in their own threads (or we can create a closed group to handle this, if we don't want to pollute the main threads here?). We'll put up a polished one for the finished sticky entries.
This discussion has been closed.