Hi, I am new to the group.

Options
marieloses
marieloses Posts: 9 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
I REALLY want to do this Eating to Live!!! I have tried it several times with not much success. I could really use some friends for encouragement! I also need to quit smoking! Do you think I should start both goals at the same time?

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Welcome to the group. We have been running a monthly thread and you're welcome to jump into that. We all do ETL to varying degrees so you definitely don't have to be perfect to hang out here. The people in the group are all really nice and supportive.

I quit smoking about a year and a half ago and started eating better/exercising at the same time. I actually lost 15 pounds the first couple months after I quit. But I'm an all or nothing type! ;)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Welcome. December thread is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10027963/just-do-it-december/p1

I don't want to try to speak for everyone here, but we have had this discussion before, and many of us are all or nothing types. In the main forums, you will find the word 'moderation,' used over and over. A lot of us don't 'do' moderation well, and I think the more common catchphrase here, is 'consistency.'

I quit drinking many years ago, and almost immediately quit smoking as well. People thought I was crazy to make so many changes at the same time, but I was in a quitting mood. Some people seem to thrive on making huge changes, and sticking to them, but it's a lot of commitment. Others, ( it would seem, 'most' people ) do better making smaller changes and easing into things.

If you are constantly trying to make the big changes, and then feel like you are 'failing,' and giving up.... then I'd suggest you have a fall-back plan this time, a Plan B..... so you don't just quit, you just reevaluate, and transition to the new plan.

IMHO, ETL is less of a diet plan, than a lifestyle. I personally think that Dr Fuhrman markets it as a weight-loss solution mainly because it gets more attention that way. And when Mihani says that we all do ETL to various degrees here, that's a fact. I'm pretty much a lapsed ETL'er..... while I still believe in eating mostly plants..... I'm not currently following the program, even closely. They pretty much just let me hang out here, 'cause I post the occasional amusing gif.

bugs.gif
    'Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.' Michael Pollan
  • julgwill
    julgwill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group too, but not new to eat to live. I am just starting it clean slate again today. Breakfast was a green smoothie with banana, kale, avocado, carrot, blueberries, pineapple, and flaxseeds. Lunch was a whole wheat totilla stuffed with lentils, carrots, lettuce, tomoatoes, green peppers, and dressed with balsalmic vinegar.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi Bategirl and julgwill!! Welcome to the group :) It's always nice hearing stories from new faces. How are you both finding ETL so far?

Feel free to jump into our December thread, which is basically a running convo about eat to live and lifestyles and challenges.

And Sloth is worth much more than his gifs!!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ...but his gifs are certainly well-placed and extremely entertaining.

Welcome!

(I too am an all-or-nothing type - I read ETL on a Wednesday (ok, just the first 4 chapters) and started a vegan lifestyle the next morning!! :smiley: Been more than a year now!!)