I Got Coaching

Options
NoelFigart1
NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
I have gotten some coaching. Holy mackerel, have I been Doing It Wrong.

I'm short and short-limbed. I'd been trying to use the high elbow catch technique. I've been advised that it might be great to reduce drag when you're tall with a huge wingspan. I'm short and round and need to extend my stroke both on entry and extend it along my body before exit.

I kick like a damn eggbeater. (What can I say, I learned to swim in the '70s) I'm being advised that I'm going to see some serious improvements with a two-beat kick. There is far too much isolation between my legs and upper body. More torque will help.

I know everyone is right to tell me this, but it feels totally weird to stop working harder to go faster and start drilling. I wanna get faster, and it feels very strange to slow the heck down to do it.

I was complimented on my "feel" for the water. (Not entirely sure what that means, but it was nice) and that once something is pointed out to me, that I have the control to make the change.

Yes, and no no the latter. I can do it CONSCIOUSLY. It's gonna take a LOT of drill before I do it without thinking and can zone out and revel in the sheer physical sensation of the water again.

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    You'll be surprised at how quickly the things you drill will become second nature. They will strange at first (solely because they are different from the way you've been doing things), but they will quickly become natural & you will feel the efficiency. Don't be surprised, as you learn more, that your "feel" improves to the point that you will discover new ways to be efficient on your own, before the coach points them out to you....
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have gotten some coaching. Holy mackerel, have I been Doing It Wrong.

I'm short and short-limbed. I'd been trying to use the high elbow catch technique. I've been advised that it might be great to reduce drag when you're tall with a huge wingspan. I'm short and round and need to extend my stroke both on entry and extend it along my body before exit.

I kick like a damn eggbeater. (What can I say, I learned to swim in the '70s) I'm being advised that I'm going to see some serious improvements with a two-beat kick. There is far too much isolation between my legs and upper body. More torque will help.

I know everyone is right to tell me this, but it feels totally weird to stop working harder to go faster and start drilling. I wanna get faster, and it feels very strange to slow the heck down to do it.

I was complimented on my "feel" for the water. (Not entirely sure what that means, but it was nice) and that once something is pointed out to me, that I have the control to make the change.

Yes, and no no the latter. I can do it CONSCIOUSLY. It's gonna take a LOT of drill before I do it without thinking and can zone out and revel in the sheer physical sensation of the water again.

Good job on getting the coaching! It does help to give you specific targets to aim for and break monotony!

Yep even with high elbow catch, one is still trying to increase the distance per stroke, hence high elbow catch but longest stroke possible. Ian Thorpe apparently had one of the longest distance per stroke figures, but he was strong enough that he could begin the catch with the arm almost fully extended!
    I'm in the process of trying to find that optimum point for me!

From what I have read/ heard the two beat kick seems to be the recommended for distance, so you are on the right track.

I too had to really fight myself to slow down as I've worked on stroke. It's difficult initially,but as you realise there are so many little things to work on, frantic work rate just doesn't allow you to perfect the techniques.

It also gives your body the time to develop and grow your muscles effectively and specifically to work with the new movements that you are incorporating!

Great job!

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's great that you will see improvements now. I got these silly things when I first got back into swimming amazon.com/FINIS-1-05-028-Forearm-Fulcrum/dp/B001GQ2CJE I found them really helpful because the first time I put them on they made me hold my arms in the proper position for the stroke and I was swimming faster the same day.

I would love to get some coaching to see if I've developed any bad habits. It's been so long since I was on a swim team, but I can't find any adult swim classes locally. Maybe some will show up this summer.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You've not been Doing it Wrong - as at least you were doing something !

But I really enjoyed having lessons too (in fact I am booking some more for next year - Alexander technique based ones) and went from unable to do some strokes at all well, to pretty convincing in most. So you will be Doing it Fine and Dandy really soon. Good for you.