Testing 1RM with Wendler 5/3/1

Options
Since it's the end of the year, I'd like to test my 1RM. The question is whether I test 1RM next week, which would ordinarily be the heavy week of my cycle, or whether I take a deload week and then test 1RM the following week.

Current training information -

I am following the 4 day Wendler 5/3/1 triumvirate template. I also do 3x8 'down sets' of the main lift, but view those as optional depending on how I'm feeling. I'm running two three week cycles followed by a one week deload (per Beyond 5/3/1). As I'm sure you know, the first week of a cycle is 5, 5, 5+, the second 3, 3, 3+ and the third 5, 3, 1+.

I had a forced deload about two weeks ago due to illness. I started back where I left off, so technically I'm on the fifth week (i.e. the second 3+ week) of the current cycle.

Replies

• _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Just stick with the program and test your max on your 5/3/1+ week. Patience is hard, but that's how big gains are made.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    That's the thing - my 5/3/1+ week is next week. I'm not looking to move it up, I'm wondering if I should move it back in order to insert a deload week.

For the tri, I didn't train balls to the wall right up to raceday - I had an easy week before the race. Does the same apply to lifting, or am I better 'primed' for the 1RM by training hard right up until the attempt?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Honestly I doubt it will matter to a HUGE extent since you just had a week off two weeks ago. However, what I do is:

5s week
    3s week
    5/3/1 week
    Deload week
    Warm-ups and 1RM testing week. Testing one lift per day per my normal lifting schedule. (No accessory work this week)

Then I just continue with 5s the following week. I'm actually doing my deload week right now and will test my 1RMs next week, for example.

If you're interested, Wendler does have an actual prescribed guideline for testing 1RMs, it includes a few heavy singles in the final weeks leading up to your testing week. But it sounds like you're too close for that.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    ^^^I do this as well but don't re-test every single cycle.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    ok, what I'm hearing is that since I already had a recent deload week, I may as well test on my 5/3/1+ week next week. Done. Thanks guys.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    ^^^I do this as well but don't re-test every single cycle.

Just to be clear, I don't either. This is just an example schedule for when I do want to test my 1RM. I only test maybe twice a year, tops. I haven't tested since April.
  • stumblinthrulife
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've only 18 months under my belt, so still finding the right schedule. Since lifting isn't my primary focus I'll probably only test once a year.

Anyway, I tested deads this morning, and set a new 1RM @ 345lb, then another @ 365lb. That's a 50+lb improvement from the start of the year. I did not go to failure, so it's possible I have a little more in me.

I shot a few hoops to warmup, then did the DeFranco Agile 8 mobility workout. Then rather than the regular 5/3/1+ week, I worked up as follows (from the 1RM testing article on T-Nation):

8x135, rest 2 mins
    5x175, rest 2 mins
    5x210, rest 2 mins
    3x245, rest 3 mins
    1x280, rest 3 mins
    1x315, rest 5 mins
    1x345, rest 15 mins
    1x365

New goal : four plates.

Edited: removed 355 from the list, since I skipped it and went straight to 365 since 345 went up so quickly.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    While deadlift is NOT my strongest lift, I buddy noted I tended to do too much warming up and using up the energy I would've used for my 1RM attempt. Were I you, I would nix the 175, go straight from 135 to 225 before doing smaller increment increases. When I pulled 405, my progression was

135x5
    225x3
    315x2
    355x1
    385x1
    405x1

I haven't pulled that much from the floor since, though I have pulled 405 from a 6" rack pull.