So I started SL 5x5 today........

Options
craigmandu
craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
I was previously doing a bodyweight circuit 3 times a week...having had two back surgeries, I wanted to "ease" back into lifting (which is what my back doctor told me to do)

I told my two sons 24 & 26 that I was gonna start lifting again, and they suggested I come with them. One of my kids lives in an apartment complex with a workout room. So I said why not, that's money I don't have to spend on a rec center or gym membership, and it gives some time with my boys to do something cool together.

So I went and while the workout place is ok, they don't have a squat rack. They do have a large smith machine....so I used that for my intro to SL 5x5 with squats. I know that isn't ideal, and I don't know how long I can use that before it becomes a problem. What do you guys think?

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the smith machine completely to be honest. What equipment is available?
  • craigmandu
    Options
    I would avoid the smith machine completely to be honest. What equipment is available?

Obviously they have a number of machines...the standard machines you find in about any gym. They have a decent dumbbell rack, goes up to I think 75 or 80s...I actually used 50s for my starting bench, as they didn't have a Oly bench (except said smith)...

They have a cable station, for cable flys, etc...

They also have some non olympic bar weights, which I used for barbell rows (started with 70).... I didn't see any Oly bars, except an Oly curl bar. They have a fair amount of Oly plates, but it really seems limited to the smith machine. It's not a huge place.

Didn't see a leg press either. So it isn't really "gym" quality. I was kinda just hoping I could "milk" it a bit so I do stuff with my boys, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like their setup.
  • craigmandu
    Options
    Disregard Sara....

I went ahead and got a Rec center membership today, I decided that the limited options aren't conducive to what I'm doing.

And it was only $81 a year...so that's not a bad price for a full gym, pools, etc..etc...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nice! I need to hunt for a new gym myself - I am expecting to be frustrated with the equipment I find at most of them.
This discussion has been closed.