Recipe question

Two days ago I made some butter for a co-worker's birthday breakfast. I used real sugar in it because I can't force monk fruit in the raw on them. I used the recipe builder in MFP and it doesn't have that many carbs, 5 at the most. My question is about the buttermilk produced. Should I just presume that it has the same macro count as the butter? I would really like to drink it as a snack or have it as a treat. It tastes like the custard you make for ice cream.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    It very likely won't have the same macronutrient spread as butter.

Milk (and by extension, cream) consists of several parts:

- Fat
    - Water
    - Lactose (and other sugars)
    - Casein, Whey, and other proteins

When you harvest cream, you drop a large portion of the last three items, but they're still present. When you make butter, you further separate out the fat, and what you have left (the buttermilk) is the remaining water, sugar, and protein. Basically, the inverse of butter.

For all intents and purposes, it's skim milk. It has very little fat (you took the majority of it out when you made butter), some lactose (lactose tends to rise when the parts are separated), and some protein (protein generally sinks).
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Dragonwolf, you are amazing! I didn't think it would be the exact same but there is no way to log it in MFP. It was a little under a cup and made for a very delicious snack. I did notice that the consistency was like skim milk, which I would never touch, and a small amount of the fat that got through.

Are we friends yet? If not, I'm going to make it so!