All my Noob Questions in one spot.

Options
Figured I could stick all the stupid questions in one place. That way it will make it easier for me and maybe others in the future to learn from my mistakes.

1) This is probably the most embarrassing question for me, So I figure to get it out first and then the rest will become easier. Having lost in excess of 100lbs in the past 250 days and probably closer to 150 from my biggest a couple years back I have a little loose skin. Not near the viral video amount but enough that I am self conscious and aware of it. For cycling and Running training I am not really bothered by it as my Bibs or compression wear holds me together. But I am really perplexed by what to wear to the pool. For the better part of 15 or 20 years I have not taken my shirt off at the beach for fear of people rushing over and rubbing sea water on my and towing me out to sea. I am sure this plays into it as well

2) Coldweather Running wear. I think I am going to sign up for one of the Running Room Clinics that starts January 5. I enjoy the group atmosphere and find it pushes me along more. At least it did with my Cycling Group. Has anyone from Canada done one of their 10 week sessions? What were your thoughts? What gear do I need for the Toronto winter weather. Do not want to over dress but I really hate being Cold. It seems the price of their Gear I could easily drop $400+ just in winter apparel. As I sill have ~30Lbs to lose I would rather not spend that to have it all to big by next season. So what is the bare minimum or cheap alternatives to make do.

3)Anyone using TrainerRoad? I was thinking of switching my cycling to there programs.

Replies

• GWSGregS
    GWSGregS Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Derrick,

For coldweather running, I bought some Merino wool base layers at costco and a jacket on clearance at MEC. With some gloves and a thin hat, that seems to work for all but the coldest days. I just wear some regular track pants on the bottom. I'm probably closer to 200 all in.

Just started trainer road last week and I really like it. It makes the time go by much faster and adds some structure to my workouts. For the $10 a month, I think it's a bargain.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Can't really help with the cold weather stuff...it might get down to 25-30F at the worst in TN, so I'm usually good with a base layer, gloves and a hat...shoe covers when I'm on the bike.

Started using Trainer Road about 2 weeks ago to supplement the group training that I do on Saturdays. Loving it so far (doing Low Volume Base Training I)...makes the workouts feel more purposeful, and I love the 20min FTP test you start out with - how do you indicate sarcasm on a forum? Agree with Greg, at $10/mo, especially with the first 30 days as a free trial, essentially, it's a great bargain.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For the pool, wear a rashguard and for racing either wear a tri-kit or wetsuit depending on the temperature. I see guys wearing tops either for sun protection in the summer or for whatever personal preference in an indoor pool and no one asks or cares. Be proud of your accomplishments. For cold (near zero) weather, I like the thin buffs over my face. Some people like neoprene running masks because they have little holes so they tend not to ice up as much. Wool base layers with zip-necks are also my personal preference. Lightweight outer layers that block wind but have pocket vents that can be opened or closed and drawcords at the bottom are also nice. Layers are good because even on bitter days, it's possible to overheat and then get sweaty and chilled.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I hit the local running store and took advantage of the Christmas sales to get the Cold Weather running gear I needed. Was not near as bad as I thought it would be. Not finding rash guards anywhere though. Being Winter and sub zero temperatures I am sure that plays into it. May opt for a Tri Top if I can not find anything else.
  • ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Another bump for TrainerRoad. Have been using it for a month now and it is an absolute bargain. I have a dual monitor setup in my office and usually watch old Kona replays for inspiration on one monitor with TrainerRoad running on the other. I have tried the Sufferfest videos, but they seem a little corny to me. Either way, it is a great way to inject some structure into your bike training. I am currently working through one of their training plans and really like it.

Can't say too much about the cold weather gear. I went out and dropped nearly $400 so your estimate is pretty much spot on. I am pretty much at my goal weight though so will be able to get several seasons in on the gear I purchased.

As for the loose skin. I like what tri4life854 said. Wear a tri-kit, rashguard, or swim shirt. I do so anyway just to train in the same gear I will race in. I get some looks from some people and imagine they are asking themselves, "who does this guy think he is?" I could care less what they think. I'm doing something to better myself. That's all that matters! :smile:

eb6ddywenw55.jpg
  • derrickyoung
    Options
    Thanks Shawn. Will be starting trainer road when I get back from holidays. Been lucky while away and have managed to at least get in runs most days. There was no way my wife was going to sign off on bringing my bike and trainer on the 15 hour drive to her family. May try and squeak in a swim tomorrow at the local Y. Kinda sad and cool that I am more excited to get home and get back at it than being with the outlaws
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not finding rash guards anywhere though. Being Winter and sub zero temperatures I am sure that plays into it.
    Try SwimOutlet.com and do a search for discount codes before you check out.

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Not finding rash guards anywhere though. Being Winter and sub zero temperatures I am sure that plays into it.
    Try SwimOutlet.com and do a search for discount codes before you check out.

SwimOutlet is my favorite store for swim gear.
  • derrickyoung
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on swim outlet. Will give them a try for sure.

continuing the dumb questions theme. Is there a heart rate monitor that works in water? My 310xt is waterproof but obviously does to sync to the heart rate strap in the pool. Does anyone even bother with heart rate zones in the pool?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Nope. From a training aspect you really don't need to know your HR in the water anyway. All swimming workouts are written on distance and/or pace as opposed to HR zones.
  • ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use the Mio Link as my HRM. It is water proof and is worn on the wrist. It sells for $99. I love this thing as I don't have something around my chest. I like having the heart rate data on my swims as it gives me another metric to gauge my progress, but I agree with Scott, it is not really necessary for swim workouts. I will say that all HRM's that I know of have connectivity problems in the water due to the signal not being able to travel well in water. Even my Mio goes in and out of connectivity during my swims, but I still get enough data to know what my heart was doing during a workout. Another reason I like having the data is for post workout analysis. I have a problem with attacking a workout too hard in the beginning and not properly pacing myself. Every time I feel really bad after a workout I can take a look at the heart rate and pace data and see the tell tale signs that I went out way too hard in the beginning.