cooking in fat

When you cook in fat, be it coconut oil, bacon fat, whatever, do you count the whole amount you put in the pan? You don't end up ingesting the whole amount. Just curious how others do it.

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I do. When I cook eggs (fried), I dump any remaining butter in the pan over my egg.

Unless you're deep frying or pan frying and have a ton left over in the pan, don't stress it . In the case that you are frying, just wait for the remaining oil to cool, weigh it and subtract from the original.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    I do. When I cook eggs (fried), I dump any remaining butter in the pan over my egg.

I cook my eggs in coconut oil instead of butter, but otherwise I do exactly the same as you, and count all of it.

• JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    I count about what I use. If I dump the remaining fat over the food and eat it, I count it. If there's a bunch left in the pan, I count half.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    I'm probably a little different, but typically I fry foods in the least amount of fat it takes to fry it. I've found some fats become bitter tasting when used for frying, even at lower heats. So, with something like eggs, I only fry them in about a teaspoon or so of coconut oil, BUT then I slather a tablespoon of good quality organic butter on the finished eggs. Almost like a sauce. The butter tastes better, and I can more accurately gauge what I've eaten.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I count it all except in the case of deep frying.