Beware of the Costco Chicken Salad

Options
Stay FAR away from this stuff! I didn't know that such a small amount of celery and onions could add up to so many carbs! One cup is 21g of carbs! TWENTY-ONE! I really wish that container had a nutritional label on it. This was supposed to be lunch every day. I guess I could have half a cup but that's still a lot of carbs for some danged chicken salad. I know I should have made it myself but I'm trying to find quick and easy foods to keep me out of the kitchen.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Most likely, it's in the dressing that's likely on it. I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like it's "chicken salad" along the same lines as "potato salad." In that case, the dressing or sauce on it usually has a fair amount of sugar in it. You'll find the same with coleslaw and other such "salads."
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I figured they just used mayonnaise like regular people. LOL! It never occurred to me that they would use anything but mayonnaise. Now they sell the rotisserie chicken breasts by the pound and that bag was cheaper than the pre-made salad. I stood there contemplating and figured it would be cheaper to buy it pre-made. Lesson learned! At a half cup per serving, I'll probably keep half and give the rest to my sister's boyfriend.

I also got ribs that day. The carb count was really high because of the sauce which can be rinsed off. I don't think anyone has logged the ribs without the sauce so if I log them, my numbers won't be accurate but I'm not going to worry about it. At least those can be frozen.
  • dendenmooshi
    dendenmooshi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Croutons included or no?
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No croutons. It was chicken salad, not a salad with chicken. I also read the label and they do add sugar to it when they make it. I wish there had been a nutritional label instead. I love knowing the ingredients but I also would love to know the nutritional breakdown. It would have saved me fifteen bucks.
  • hrosent1
    Options
    Yeah, I stay away from all chicken salads/tuna salads/cole slaw that I don't make myself because for some reason everyone thinks it's necessary to add sugar. So weird.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Read your labels. Sugar is in everything. Make your own. Even mayo.