Heartrate Monitor

Options
RebekahR84
RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
For anyone who hasn't tried one of these, my absolute favorite tool for my healthy lifestyle is my pink Polar heartrate monitor. It costs $100. It's a chest strap and a watch. You plug in your weight, date of birth, gender, and height. It logs your workout time and calories burned. It also shows the amount of time you spent in certain heartrate zones. There are other programs it performs, but those are the ones that I use. I've set my goal to 3,500 calories burned working out per week.

If you're shopping for a heartrate monitor, don't go for the one that you have to hold your thumb to in order to get a reading. The chest strap is the most accurate reading you'll get. It seems like it might be cumbersome at first, but you don't even realize it's there once it's on.

Replies

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I started out with one similar to what you have and loved it. I've since upgraded to one that is a little more accurate, can sync to my computer and the polar website, and such, as well as one exclusively for my bike! There was a post on here a while back on how to ensure you heartrate monitor is set right; that is, it should be set to your fitness level, not necessarily your age, for a more accurate calorie count, and then adjusted periodically. I'll see if I can find the info and then let you know.
  • surfchic423
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it. I have been using it since last August and it was worth the expense.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    I started out with one similar to what you have and loved it. I've since upgraded to one that is a little more accurate, can sync to my computer and the polar website, and such, as well as one exclusively for my bike! There was a post on here a while back on how to ensure you heartrate monitor is set right; that is, it should be set to your fitness level, not necessarily your age, for a more accurate calorie count, and then adjusted periodically. I'll see if I can find the info and then let you know.

Thank you. I would love to read that info.
  • LolaTootsie
    LolaTootsie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have a Polar HRM and it's one of the best things I've bought! It's great to get an accurate caloric burn for my height/weight/age rather than rely on estimates - sometimes they're way off.
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM too... and I LOVE it. It really motivates me to burn calories!!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Just because this is on the strength training board, HRMs are not accurate for calories burned during weight lifting/strength training. They are designed for more cardio workouts.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    I used it during my weight lifting workout so I have a goal number to work towards. I keep my calorie intake below my goal regardless of working out (MFP has my goal @ 1,450,) so it doesn't make me think I can eat more than I should. It's just nice to have a weekly goal. Thanks for the tip, though. :)