Bench press program

Options
Pmagnanifit
Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
Hello!
I have been lifting for two years. Most of the forty years before that my exercise focused on lower body-- soccer, running, cycling.
I competed for the first time as a lifter and my bench is terrible. I am a female. I want to improve.
Any thoughts about a bench press program for me?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing for programming previously and did it improve?

• Pmagnanifit
    Options
    I did NRolw, then supercharged. I had some upper body strength and I have always been able to do two chin-ups. These programs helped get my bench from zero to 65lbs. Then I had a trainer for three months which helped get to 80 lbs. that was like 5x5, unfortunately I hurt my right shoulder- unclear if pec minor or subscapular muscle. So not much arm or shoulder work since early December.

I'd like to compete again in April but will reassess the shoulder with my physical therapist tomorrow.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey pmag - have you thought about SL 5 x 5? I say that as that's why I chose it - to increase my upper body strength (inc bench) whilst improving my squat form. It's simple compared to NROL. I bought myself some teeny 0.5kg plates so that I can increase more gradually than the 2.5kg/ workout that is the SL recommendation (for men). Still early days on this program for me, but I see the potential.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Thanks Jo- I have been doing sl 5x5 basically for the past three- 4 months with some additional core and accessory work for back and shoulders.
    - I think it worked so I will probably continue it but I was sort of hoping there was an awesome fix your pathetic bench press program.
    - My pt has cleared me to bench again with light weight and higher reps
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Have you had someone video your form? At least brush up on the basics. Bench is more technical than many think. What kind of accessory work are you doing? I do 5x5 and have been pondering what accessory work might help my press and bench. I've been thinking pushups, dips(more for press), and and bent arm pullovers but Ill be more interested to see more knowledgeable suggestions.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How is your form? If you're wanting to get your bench up and compete then you've gotta bench like a powerlifter. Big arch, full body tension, leg drive, the works. Can you post a vid? Technique is going to be #1, especially if you've hurt yourself already (I assume poor form?)

You can do smolov jr for bench which is fairly common. It's basically nothing but benching, constantly. Tons of volume. You will probably die.

Accessory work like paused bench, incline bench, military press, close-grip bench, dips, and any kind of back work (rows/pulldowns/pull-ups) will help a lot too.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    How is your form? If you're wanting to get your bench up and compete then you've gotta bench like a powerlifter. Big arch, full body tension, leg drive, the works. Can you post a vid? Technique is going to be #1, especially if you've hurt yourself already (I assume poor form?)

^^ I'd go this route before looking at program, as this has the potential to make a huge impact depending on what the technical issues are ^^

• Pmagnanifit
    Options
    I will try to film a video. Thanks for the advice
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Activating the pecs has always been a problem for me. Then I saw this link. I think i may have even found it in this group... My press is still a work in progress, but i can definitely feel more work being done in/by my pecs.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/benching-with-the-pecs.html/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing to really add to what has been said, but based your lifting stats (I think you pulled 180lb dead - not sure of your squat or what you did at the meet for bench), your bench does not actually suck tbh.

If you messed up your bench in a meet - join the club...bench is my nemesis at meets - its so technical and the equipment impacts you so much that imo its easier to fail that lift than any other (especially when you add the commands in).

My paused bench, which is my weakest lift in fairness, is less than 50% of my deads - so proportionately, and based on your 5 x 5 bench #s, your bench is probably proportionately better than mine!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Timg thanks for the link. This article has made me think about keeping my shoulder blades back which seems to help a lot.

Sarah thanks for your encouragement. I admire your strength and your (and sidesteel's) commitment to helping others achieve their fitness goals.

I failed all my attempts in the meet- I kept sticking halfway up which was frustrating. I will keep at it- and practice more Bp with commands. I squatted 132 lbs not my best but solid!!!
    -
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Yes the link is helpful - I will try this also.

Why is everything far more technical than I want it to be? Grumble :(
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Hey, you gotta struggle with it to push your limits. :)

If it makes ya feel any better I had done the roll of shame by 6 am today.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Timg thanks for the link. This article has made me think about keeping my shoulder blades back which seems to help a lot.

Sarah thanks for your encouragement. I admire your strength and your (and sidesteel's) commitment to helping others achieve their fitness goals.

I failed all my attempts in the meet- I kept sticking halfway up which was frustrating. I will keep at it- and practice more Bp with commands. I squatted 132 lbs not my best but solid!!!
    -

Next meet - go way low as your opener - getting that first lift in will be such a good help for any mental block, even if the weight is low compared you gym performance.

If its any consolation, I have failed at bench more than the other two most at meets - and none were to do with commands - it was like a totally different lifter was trying to do each lift - very odd and I am still not sure why I could not get some of them up.

Re shoulder blades - think of depressing them (as in packing them towards your waist) and also wrapping them around the bench (obviously, you don't actually do that, but use that as a cue).

• timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Some more amateur advice re pec involvement:

I've also found that it helps to think of the weight being directly on your elbows, and that you're using your pecs to pull your elbows to vertical/push the bar up. This sort of goes with Step 2 from the link posted above.

You can simulate this by laying on your bench, with no bar, and putting yourself in the bottom of the bench press position. Let your forearms and wrists go slack but keep them vertical. Now, to get the feel of pec involvement, slowly focus on raising your elbows from the bottom position of the press to vertical. Doesn't matter where your forearms/hands go... keep them slack (pretend they aren't there!). If each elbow ends up pointing up but a little bit to the opposite side, that's ok... your pecs should be contracted at this point. If you are able to do this movement AND contract your pecs while doing it through the "arc" of the elbow motion, all the better.

Then you can do this with the empty bar. Now your forearms and hands are doing a little work holding up the bar - but that's ALL they are doing (that and some grip). Now you're really lifting something and will also feel extra resistance because your hands won't be moving... the bar is keeping them in place, in a sense. You should feel it more in your pecs now.

Remember, this is AMATEUR advice... ! If simulating this way screws up your form, don't do it. Form is key. Please don't hurt yourself because of my dumb@$$ advice!

TG