Kitchen equipment you can't live without?

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
Hi folks!
Since I started eating keto, I'm finding myself doing a lot more cooking from scratch and getting really excited about trying some recipes again. The problem is that I live in a ridiculously really small place and my kitchen is miniscule tiny (about 4 sq ft of counter space). While I would love to have all the cool kitchen gadgets and toys to use in food preparation, I just don't have space for it. So my question is:
If you had to have only one piece of kitchen equipment to prepare all of your keto yummies, what would it be? (excluding basics like stove & oven)

Replies

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I use my Magic Bullet daily to make my Bullet Proof Coffee and other than that I love my Ninja!! Its great for all the chopping & dicing & stuff. also a mandolin is great, even a cheap one makes life easier.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have to pick one? But...choosing between my Vitamix and my Kitchen Aide is like choosing between air and water... (seriously, either one alone is like eight different things in one, especially if you get even some of the add-ons for either, and they complement each other on their capabilities, so it works out phenomenally well.)

I hear you on the counter space. We don't have a lot, and what we do have is broken up into arguably horrible sections (ie - eight inches wide between stove and wall, 12 between stove and sink, a quarter of what's left lost to a dark corner and the microwave, etc). We actually found that two of the smaller sections work well for the Kitchen Aide and the Vitamix to each have a place and not need put away all the time. Everything else goes in the "appliance garage" that is the corner cupboard under the counters, which isn't really good for anything else, but works great for the stuff we don't use as often (the Tassimo coffee maker, immersion blender, electric can opener, hand mixer, etc).
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It would be a really good digital scale. I recently purchased a "EatSmart Precision Elite Digital Kitchen Scale" and it makes recipes and carb/grams counting much easier. Before I was too random, probably eating more than I should. Now, when I make batches of cooked meat, I can weigh them and record it on the Zip lock bag for inputting into MFP.

I know this is not a "counter-top" item, but, I recently bought a set of "non-Teflon" ceramic coated pots & pans. They are the best pans I have ever used. They are for people that are tired of eating Teflon and tired of jack-hammering :s food off that sticks/burns to the bottom of your pans. Great for Keto cooking.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I have to pick one? But...choosing between my Vitamix and my Kitchen Aide is like choosing between air and water... (seriously, either one alone is like eight different things in one, especially if you get even some of the add-ons for either, and they complement each other on their capabilities, so it works out phenomenally well.)

Kitchen Aide mixer or food processor?
  • 5Lloyd90
    5Lloyd90 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Massive cast iron skillet. I cook everything in it, whether on the stove, in the oven, on a grill, over a fire, et al. I find it comforting to use cookware that will outlive me. :smiley:
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oooh, 5lloyd90, that's a good one. I wasn't even thinking of that. My immersion blender was first on my mind regarding LCHF gadgetry, especially for bulletproof coffee, whipping cream, beating eggs, mashing cauliflower. But I've had my trusty cast iron fry pans for 25+ years. So cast iron, 2 speed stick blender, then last, a sturdy baking sheet which can be stored in the oven when not in use.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    It would be a really good digital scale. I recently purchased a "EatSmart Precision Elite Digital Kitchen Scale" and it makes recipes and carb/grams counting much easier. Before I was too random, probably eating more than I should. Now, when I make batches of cooked meat, I can weigh them and record it on the Zip lock bag for inputting into MFP.

I know this is not a "counter-top" item, but, I recently bought a set of "non-Teflon" ceramic coated pots & pans. They are the best pans I have ever used. They are for people that are tired of eating Teflon and tired of jack-hammering :s food off that sticks/burns to the bottom of your pans. Great for Keto cooking.

You bought my scale! I love it!

I second ceramic coated pans. Best eggs ever!

• DittoDan
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

You bought my scale! I love it!

I second ceramic coated pans. Best eggs ever!
    Nic, I know, I got it from your recommendation! That's why I love this group. Thank you for taking the time to post it! :D:)

Dan the Man from MFP Land
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Digital scale - for measuring, duh.
    Cast iron skillet - for searing meat and going from stovetop to oven
    Food processor - for homemade mayonnaise, shredding chicken for buffalo chicken dip.
    Nutribullet - for bulletproof coffee, when I feel so inclined.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Blender - Can't start the day without my BPC! I have a really good one that acts as a food processor as well.

Slow Cooker - I cook so many cheap cuts of meat into deliciousness, then freeze it for later. I don't always leave it in the kitchen though - sometimes I plug it in and leave it in the laundry especially if its going to be a long cooking time.

My awesome, heavy duty frying pan - for eggs, etc like everyone else here! Mine can be cleaned with only a paper towel which is great, then placed straight back on the cooktop.

My little kitchen scales - you have to be accurate with your portions.

I don't have a stand mixer anymore (it died), but I have always been able to get away with a little hand held mixer (that cost about $10 from Kmart here) for whipping up egg whites, etc. Fits in a draw, and easy to store!
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    i don't use a lot of gadgets. I use a variety of pots, pans, and knives for most tasks. I prefer my enamel dutch oven to a crock pot, because I can brown the meats to get much more complex flavors.

A good quality kitchen scale and instant read digital thermometers are two items I use all the time now that I never used when I started living on my own.

My favorite cooking device is my Pit Barrel Cooker. It gets great results. I can cook easily 20 pounds of meat on it at once. I portion and freeze, then I have meals I can reheat for a month or so. This week I made a pork shoulder and two whole chickens. Having said that, you can't use it in the kitchen.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    lebowski8 wrote: »
    i don't use a lot of gadgets. I use a variety of pots, pans, and knives for most tasks. I prefer my enamel dutch oven to a crock pot, because I can brown the meats to get much more complex flavors.
    I'm pretty much in the same camp. I have a food processor, blender, juicer, kitchen scale, immersion blender, etc. But I could live without any of them.

I guess if I had to choose one item, it would be my Gaggia Brera espresso machine. I wouldn't get much else done without my morning coffee fix.

Oh, and my Japanese chef and santoku knives. Not really gadgets per se, but indispensable as far as kitchen work goes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    photo_kyla wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Kitchen Aide mixer or food processor?

Mixer (I always forget that Kitchen Aide makes a food processor, even though it's on my wish list :disagree: ).
  • juhesihcaaa
    juhesihcaaa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Food processor. I never use my stand mixer because it's a pain in the butt to clean but my food processor is easily the most used utensil in my kitchen besides the frying pan.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that I really need a food processor, especially if I ever want to make cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower (which I definitely do).
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have to choose one??? that's painful

I use my cast iron pans and skillets daily.
    I use my stainless steel pans and pots daily.
    I use my kitchen scale daily.
    I use my crockpot 6-7 days a week.
    I use my immersion blender 5 or more days a week.
    I use my kitchen aid mixer 5 or more days a week.
    I use my food processor 2-3 times a week.
    I use my FoodSaver machine 2-3 times a month when i get meat or bulk something i need to freeze.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    A good heavy duty skillet. A good sharp knife.

Those two are enough for 99% of my needs.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I would go back to a kitchen without a food processor (I use it to make my own almond butter, sauces and butter if I can get my hands on whole milk from the farm)

That and my good knife set- good, sharp knives are a must in my kitchen!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, cast iron skillet. Most versatile piece of kitchen equipment ever.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Without a doubt, cast iron skillet. Most versatile piece of kitchen equipment ever.

I usually agree with you Johnson, but not this time. I just bought ceramic coated pans (no Teflon) and they are so good. I use to hate scraping things that got stuck to cast iron pans. The ceramic coated pans don't stick at all, its like magic.