How to keep going?

Options
rainydays5
rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
Hi all!

I love this program and one of my goals is to run a 5k though I always fall short. Last summer I made it to week 5 and then life got in the way. My question is what do you do to keep pushing through? To not stop when life gets in the way? I am a full time nursing student and mother of 5 so my life gets out of control busy alot. I have set a goal of the end of April for my first 5k and have consider registering now so that can help hold me accountable to keep going. What else can I do? Any advice would be great :)

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi, unfortunately there isn't much more to it than simply deciding to do it, to carve out the time necessary to finish the programme.

It is around 45-60 minutes three times a week (depending on how long you prepare before and deal with aftermath such as showering), when the total amount of hours is 24x7=168, so perhaps it helps to put it in perspective like that.

And your family and studies need a healthy mother/future nurse, so in my honest and humble opinion, you truly need to up-prioritise your own health. It will push nice rings in all directions over the water of your life and at least I personally sleep much better after a nice exercise done, and stress less too.

While some logic applied to your situation might help, in the end it boils down to your determination and commitment. Hope I've helped rather than pushed you away :) Happy New Year!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It definitely takes determination to keep 3 hours+ of time just for yourself each week but remember that you are important and deserve this time. This is for you and your family will reap the benefits of a healthier, happier you.

It may help to take the pressure off if you don't focus on a date for your first 5K. Just take the program one day at a time. Then, if you do have to postpone a session by a day, you won't feel guilty. (I graduated 2 years ago, run 5K three times a week and have never entered a race)

Run and enjoy the experience. Do your best and you'll reach your goal. Just remember to carve those 3 hours out of the week as your own. Schedule them and refuse to alter that schedule. You can do this.