NEWBIE HERE! Anyone else living with carb-lovers? + Cheap Keto meals? *LONG but TL;DR*

2»

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    I understand that my 2YO son needs all the food groups to function properly

He doesn't need cereal or bread or pasta any more than you do.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    I understand that my 2YO son needs all the food groups to function properly

He doesn't need cereal or bread or pasta any more than you do.

I'm gonna jump in here and say I agree with kirkor, but having a ton of experience with kids, and esp toddlers, I've never met one that could be convinced to consume enough meat, eggs, and cheese that they wouldn't need at least some carbs. Probably more than would be allowed in a keto type diet.

• KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Try and think of anything with almond or coconut flour as "once in a long while" things. I went out and bought the flours and then found I didn't really make too many things with them (splurg-y items, like pancakes or muffins) because they were total trigger foods for me and I wanted them all the time- in the end it just hurt my over all goal.

Also, stick to a core group of foods that you can vary with spices. Eggs and meat and cheese, a few veggies. The one pricier item I would suggest you get no matter what is coconut oil. You can transition your whole family over to it without them even really noticing. Walmart is the best price for grassfed butter. Do you have a trader joes in your area?

Another thing that will really help- buy bulk packages of meat on sale if you can, and pre-cook a bunch of it at the beginning of the week, so you have ready-made items on hand. Cooking carby stuff for your family will be easier to resist if you have a hamburger patty you can eat at a moments notice in the fridge.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    I am in the same boat, as my family loves their carbs and since I prepare meals, I'm making pasta, potatoes, breads, etc. Just last night they had baked ziti and meatballs with fresh Italian bread. I had a few meatballs, some ricotta and was good. The trick for me is to eat first (whenever possible) before their carb heavy food is ready. I usually have a low carb snack (boiled egg, pepperoni, cheese stick, etc) before I leave work, and right when I get home I make my own dinner.

I always have meats (precooked or deli), cheese sticks, avocado, eggs at the ready. I don't do a lot of "replacement" foods, but at one point I wanted to try to make bread, so I bought almond flour, chia seeds, coconut flakes, liquid stevia, pysillium husk and a few other more expensive items. I've used them twice exactly.

I think the best thing about keto is the reduced cravings and appetite. Once you are in keto, you will find yourself having better control.

Just give yourself the necessary time (keto adaption can take up to a month for some people) and you will do just fine dealing with the 'carbivores'.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Eggs are the answer. Super cheap, perfect keto food. Also, bulk cheese and butter. Bulk fatty meat (bone in chicken thighs, 80/20 ground beef, pork shoulder/boston butt), bulk cheap fatty bacon. Frozen veg are cheap too.

This ^^^^ is my life on Keto. I am a full time grad student while my husband works full time. Thus I am tasked with cooking quickly in between our schedules on a small budget. I don't buy any of the fancy stuff. I bought coconut oil from Walmart which is cheaper than most stores and it lasts pretty long because I also cook with butter a lot. My husband is a sexy toothpick so he doesn't care for anything with much veggies and also doesn't eat a meal without carbs. (Slowly working on that). So I found if I want to succeed I have to find a happy medium.

... It's going to come down to YOU doing what is necessary for YOU. If that means cooking up a quick taco salad for yourself while giving the family the taco shells then that's what it'll be. Also, make items that are lc for you, but savory and yummy that your family wouldn't notice. Then... While you eat those items with a salad (or some other lc green veggie), throw them a baked potato. For instance I have chuck steak in the fridge marinating in a homemade marinade which will be for dinner. It's the cheap steak so the marinade will give it a more luxurious taste when cooked properly and I will eat it with broccoli while my husband has potatoes. My compromise.

Unless your husband watches you cook everything how will he know the dinner is lchf if you give him the carbs he so desires? And I would imagine even if he thinks lchf is "bad" he won't object to you eating a nice salad, right? Low calorie "know it alls" tend to be accustomed to salad! Lol

This is only my experience but I wish you luck. It really is worth it! Feel free to add me if you need some daily help.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    I made the pancake with just cream cheese and egg. No almond flour. They were more like crepes. I could see doing them with out any sugar substitute and using them as tortilla or some sore of sandwich like wrap. the almond flour is good on baked fish but I plan on trying the smashed pork skins next time. Watch the sales for meats and stock up your freezer. My hubby is not on my WOE but he is trying to understand. He can not do the high fat because of his new innards. It would be dangerous for him but I have been fixing him different meals for us for 2 years so it is not a big deal for me to continue.