Plant based and protein needs?

Options
Hey everyone,

So Im attempting to go plant based but Im concerned about getting the protein in that the program request (25%-30%). The plan im also thinking of doing does not allow oils for cooking or otherwise, so my fat will be coming from nuts primarily. Carbs and fat are never an issue, but I can't meat my protein requirements. I also do not eat soy products. Does anyone have experience with this of meeting protein requirements without going on on carbohydrates?

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a challenge, I would imagine. I can't really say much on other plant based protein sources because I do eat meat when I am able to buy some, however, there are plant based protein powders. I buy those because I have a mild allergy to something in dairy and don't know exactly what. So, I have to limit my dairy consumption or I get itchy all over after extended exposure. The powders only give about 16 grams of protein per scoop but it's helpful at times. I use it with almond milk since I am trying to use less soy products when possible too, though I know it can be mixed with water. One kind I have the vanilla flavor is too strong so I have to find things to add that cut down that flavor but I got a different one on sale at work (less than 20 dollars) and plan to try that one next.

Good luck. I am often struggling to meet that protein even with the occasional chicken and such consumed. It can be quite a challenge at times.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan, and I can hit 100g or higher of protein a day. It may not be the 30% I aim for, since all my proteins also have carbs, but it's still pretty good. My staples are a whey protein powder, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, high protein pitas, hummus, eggs, cheese, nuts and nut butters, lentils, and beans.
  • SweatEatLive
    SweatEatLive Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Im lactose intolerant and I've never been keen on eggs so going plant based worked better for me since meat was the only thing to eliminate. I might have to try the rice or pea protein powders that I was trying to avoid. Im generally only getting to about 17% or less, or about 60g protein. I want to say that its sufficient but Im not sure.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian and at times my family goes vegan. I can eat yogurt but not much milk so here are my suggestions: beans, nuts, peas, soy quinoa
    Tempeh, nut butter . Mushrooms are surprising almost 1/3 fat, 1/3 carb 1/3 protein. If you chop them finely and sautée them they are surprisingly meaty.
    I also like trader joes meatless meatballs.