Carb grams...net or total?

Options
sbom1
sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
For Atkins, carbs are generally referred to as net carbs (total minus fiber grams). For keto, when a number is thrown out there "I am at 20 grams carbs", is that net or total? Thanks.

Replies

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't know about everyone but I count net.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Lots of people count net, but i count Gross. Here's my opinion, i am sure other people will have other thoughts. If you are a "vegetable" person and are likely to get most of those carbs from fiber, awesome. If you are like me and are more likely to get carbs from 1 salad, cheeses, lunchmeat, bunches of eggs, cream, yogurt, the occaisional splenda packet, etc etc, than gross is the way to go. That being said i do eat some broccoli too but i am just not a huge veggie person.

in other words-net seems to work best for veggie types IMHO.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I count total.
  • yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I count total too
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't mess with sutracting fiber. If I used the fiber to subtract, that would give me license to eat even more carbs. :# of which I don't need to do.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I just started on the 1st, but my current plan is to keep under 50g total and 30g net.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I followed a low carb diet years ago and I followed total carbs at the time and did well, but struggled to maintain my diet. Now I use net and although I can stay on plan much easier I lose weight slower. Some people subtract sugar alcohols to get net carbs as well. I think doing that is a problem for me. I start eating a lot of processed stuff, like sugar free ice cream & chocolates, which although low carb, stall me big time. I've decided to stick to low gi veggies & subtract their fibre to get my net carbs.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs, but I don't mess around with sugar alcohols or artificial sweetener stuff too often, I mostly try to avoid them. I have found 25-30g fiber a day to make a noticible difference to my digestive health, so I get that (from chia seeds/almonds/veggies, though tbh mostly from chia seeds, I could stand to eat more veggies), subtract it and go for 20g net carbs or less.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I don't mess with sutracting fiber. If I used the fiber to subtract, that would give me license to eat even more carbs. :# of which I don't need to do.

Dan the Man from Michigan

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I count total. I'm really carb sensitive....and lazy.