Avoiding the mirror?

Options
I have lost the same 40 pounds at least 5 times throughout my life. I had R-N-Y bypass on November 17 and I'm down just over 43 pounds. I find that I'm avoiding the mirror now because the reflection has changed. I'm starting to see the difference and it freaks me out. Before surgery when I got to this point I always sabotaged myself and gained the weight right back. I don't have that option this time.... so I find myself avoiding my reflection. Please tell me I'm not alone.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily avoid the mirror, but now that I am down over 200 lbs and not too far from goal weight, it seems surreal to me that I am not gaining any weight back, because prior to surgery, I would inevitably gain it back. The difference this time is that I, and you, have a tool to keep us from bouncing back up. We took a drastic step to have surgery and ensure this. You have gotten this far, and you have done a great job. Be proud of yourself for owning your new healthy life. Don't avoid the mirror - get used to looking at the new, healthy you! This is you now, this is your life, embrace it!
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Some of us gain weight as a protection mechanism. When that "protection" starts to disappear, we get nervous and can start self-sabotaging. I'd recommend finding a therapist to figure out other strategies to feel safe when your "flesh wall" comes down.