Challenge Rules

Options
lawyerette
lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
UPDATED JAN 5 TO ALIGN WITH THE HOW-TO VIDEOS POSTED TO BIKINI BODY MOMMY
(I've previously run Biggest Loser challenges, so the BBM approach is new to me too... I've modified the challenge rules [weigh in and measurement info specifically] to align to her approach... sorry for any confusion)

Good evening mommies. This whole "challenge" thing may be new for many of you, so I'm going to try to outline everything you need to know. It's been a couple years since I hosted one of these challenges, so I apologize if I forget anything. Please feel free to ask for more details on anything that seems unclear.

The basic idea of the challenge group is to come together for a defined period of time (here, 90 days or 13 weeks) with similarly situated people (here, moms interested in losing a little baby weight) for accountability (weekly weigh ins) and fun (weekly challenges, chats about baby and mom stuff).

The most important things are to be honest and be respectful. We all know those mommy groups where folks are critical and judgmental. This is not one of those groups. We are here to support one another. That's not to say there won't be some tough love - please feel free to message me if you see I ate 5 helpings of chocolate cream pie before whining about my thighs - but please be kind in your posts to one another. Dealing with baby weight (and other mommy stuff) can be really hard. And being honest and making yourself vulnerable to others when asking for help can be scary. Let's remember to honor one another by first being kind. If you're giving non-fitness advice (like breastfeeding or vaccination, etc.) please refer the poster to an authoritative site (KellyMom, Mayo Clinic, etc.) I would personally prefer to avoid conversations about vaccination and circumcision, but I know that sometimes those questions get asked. If the posts get out of hand, I will reconsider the 'rules' and consider banning off-topic (OT) discussion so that the focus is entirely about fitness.

And now for the challenge info:

1. Basics. Everyone must weigh in on the same scale each time (your scale at home or at the gym or at the doctor, whatever) as close to the same time of day (for you) each week. Try to wear the same weight of clothing (e.g., if you wear shoes for your first weigh in, wear them at each subsequent weigh ins), although BBM says to weigh in your birthday suit. Regardless, keep things consistent.

2. Calculating the Winning Team. The competition results will be tracked using the percent of body weight loss. The calculation takes your actual weight (each scheduled weigh in) and subtracts it from your initial weight. Then this sum is divided by your initial (starting) weight. Don’t worry, I’ll do the calculations. You just need to send me your weight ON TIME. The team with the largest % loss at the end of the 90 days (13 weeks) is the winner.

3. Tracking Inches. Part of BBM is tracking inches because weight can actually increase as you increase muscle mass. I would like to track inches with you all, but understand if you don't want to participate in that part of the challenge. Please provide measurements for the following in inches to the nearest ¼ inch: (a) Bust, (b) Waist (at belly button), (c) Upper arm (4 inches above elbow crease), (d) Lower arm (4 inches below elbow crease), (e/f) Hip (largest and smallest points), (g) Thigh (6 inches above kneecap), and (h) Calf (6 inches below kneecap). Please send the same side of the body or measure both and average to maintain consistency. Information about taking your measurements is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh_vN9bTi1A

4. Weigh In Reporting. The first weigh in must be done sometime this week (starting Sunday, January 4) and the information is due to me for the baseline or "zero" week. Weigh ins will be timed with the BBM Challenge (second weigh in is Day 15) and need to be sent to me by the end of the day. If you know you'll be out of town or otherwise unable to send me your weight, send it BEFORE you become unavailable. The competition will run for 13 weeks with the final weigh in on Sunday, April 5.

5. Soft start. Additional moms may join during Week 1, provided that they have a weigh in from Saturday/Sunday of this week. I’m doing this because the group just formed and we’re still picking up mommies each day.

6. Challenges. There are two types of challenges: Group and Team. I will issue the Group Challenge each week (send me your suggestions) and will post it no later than Saturday night. Teams may also issue their own challenges to encourage their teams.

7. Team Formation. There are around 70 moms here now. I am not sure how I'm going to divide us up yet. I WILL assign groups by the end of the first week. I'm hoping I can learn enough about all of you to split us up based on something we each have in common (breastfeeding moms, moms of several babies, moms with newborns, working moms, stay at home moms...). I really have no idea how you all will be divided up yet, but I feel like it always works out.

Replies

• pucca_belle
    pucca_belle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to do this for us. With this group I know I can stay consistent :)
  • arrmkr3
    Options
    Are we still able to join - and are you considering this week 1 or week 0? Thanks!
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just found the group. Am I too late?
  • kaycaputo
    Options
    Can I start late? I just found the group!