Misc. Chat Thread - Jan. 2015

Options

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    LOL omg crabada! I would be so hungry all day

But I looooove those muffins. I can't have them in the house at all.

Yeah, I usually don't. Because, you know, then that's all I get to eat. :) And thankfully, they are rather filling. But definitely not planning on doing it again any time soon.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm up way way way too late, socializing here. so for the people interested in mr thumbs, here's the synopsis of what four whole human adults spent TWO HOURS arguing about in a room this morning . . . translated into weightlifter terms.

use case name: conventional deadlift.

captain scudge: 'use case begins when user stands up straight. that's the step.'
    me: 'no. use case begins when user places midfoot under the bar.'
    captain scudge *proud of self*: 'but that's in the preconditions. see? 'user is standing in correct position to perform a deadlift.'
    me: 'no. the precondition is that the bar is loaded and standing ready on the floor'
    captain scudge: 'well, i don't see it that way.' (repeat from step 1).
    me: i hate you.

i didn't really say that, of course. but i had a couple of mfp members in mind at the time, to help me to remember how much some of you were looking forward to hearing about this. looking at you, @crabada.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    me: i hate you.

BUT I * <3 * YOU!!!!!

Read your post multiple times. Laughed out loud every time. Still am.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    On another note, I need to find something colourful to take a picture of in the next two days but I just have no ideas. I have found this 31 day photo challenge a great way to push my creativity (which lacks quite often) but this is a little much. I know it sounds easy but the weather has been dark, grey and icky all week which doesn't help me find colourful shots.

Actually grey and icky can make colours stand out a lot more than sunny. What about a car? Or go to a playground (always colour there)?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    On another note, I need to find something colourful to take a picture of in the next two days but I just have no ideas. I have found this 31 day photo challenge a great way to push my creativity (which lacks quite often) but this is a little much. I know it sounds easy but the weather has been dark, grey and icky all week which doesn't help me find colourful shots.

Do you have an ice skating rink nearby? Kids playing on ice is something quite cheerful and definitely colorful :)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Canadianlbs I think that kind of thing happens a lot in our development team too.
    Thanks for the ideas for the colour. The schools playground equipment is very colourful, and if I go not during recess it shouldn't be too creepy.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Canadianlbs I think that kind of thing happens a lot in our development team too.
    Thanks for the ideas for the colour. The schools playground equipment is very colourful, and if I go not during recess it shouldn't be too creepy.

Can you take pictures indoors, too?
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    crabada wrote: »
    I'm going to share something with you all, but you have to promise not to judge.

This was my day in food:

Breakfast/Lunch (~12:00 Noon):
    - 1 Double Chocolate Muffin (from Costco)
    - 1/2 glass non-fat milk

Lunch/Dinner (~4:00 PM):
    - 1 Double Chocolate Muffin (from Costco)
    - 1 glass non-fat milk

I was still five calories over my range, because those damn muffins are INSANE. :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL omg crabada! I would be so hungry all day

But I looooove those muffins. I can't have them in the house at all.

Are Costco muffins gigantic? There's a grocery store in my region that has massive muffins.. I think it's Shoppers but when I looked up "Shoppers Muffins" my screen filled with people with muffin tops shopping.
  • Llamapants86
    Options

Can you take pictures indoors, too?

Yeah I can. I do find that my outdoor pictures turn out better because the lighting is generally easier to work with. I want to get kind of a studio set up for indoor stuff (and a camera that is better than my current bridge camera) but that's still a ways in the future.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    one of my not-so-long-ago days in food:

coffee.
    breakfast shake.
    coffee.
    coffee.
    3/4 pound fruit juice gummy bears.
    water
    coffee.
    dinner: breakfast shake.

working right across the street from a grocery store can be a real mixed blessing.
    I can attest to the deliciousness of fruit juice gummies (a local market by me makes them in animal cracker shapes & sizes and I can eat a pound like it's nothing)!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Are Costco muffins gigantic? There's a grocery store in my region that has massive muffins.. I think it's Shoppers but when I looked up "Shoppers Muffins" my screen filled with people with muffin tops shopping.

Yes. Yes, they are.

• Llamapants86
    Options
    So I had a great, productive morning. To the point where I was all done work at 1. Left to go get my "colourful" photo and failed at taking pictures of playgrounds. I even went to the next town over to try to take pictures of their playgrounds without luck. It was just full of disappointment.

After I got home I realised that I had the most colourful objects known to mankind right in my house. BABY TOYS.

PS I have been thinking about yummy, giant muffins all day!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed a lovely day off from work, which meant sleeping in (falling back asleep after loud people outside woke me up). Then doing not much of anything most of the day. I did do a few errands. Spent more at Walmart than usual as I don't shop there much. But the exercise clothes are cheaper there compared to Target and I never have much money. Having lost 30+ so far means many of my shorts and such are too big. I can still lift in some but can't run in many of them. They had shorts out so I got a shirt for summer (tad too tight now but by prep for June 5k should be fine) and a pair of shorts. The shorts actually fit and there is no X in front of the size, so that's a first for me. "12/14" L size, it's nice to see after all the years of XL or XXL. 16 size in jeans fit now and the size 20 that I had fall off so guess I won't be wearing those anymore.

I also bought some food from a grocery store and from walmart got a blender bottle for when I'm lazy and don't want to use my stick blender to make a protein shake. I don't have a regular blender and struggle to find one that works enough for what I want anyways. Hopefully this helps when I just want a quick shake but not clumps of powder randomly throughout the drink.

I miss having my regular camera. I work in photo part of the week but we're eventually moving away from wet lab, which means no more developing film. Pretty soon all film will be send out and take weeks to get done. And by done, just the travel portion, the processing doesn't take much time but anything we send out takes so long just with the mailing process both ways. I still miss my Nikon. Should have my mom send it to me as I left it at their house when I moved.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Had a terribly lazy day today, which was actually rather lovely. Then the gym, then to dinner with a classmate who I think will become a good friend. Monday is my self-declared last day of vacation (school doesn't start until the 20th, but I need to get into a groove next week), so tomorrow and this weekend will probably also be low key and lazy. I'm OK with it.

xo,
    C.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love myself a lazy day! :D
    Dawn that is really exciting to move into a new clothing range!

I was supposed to lift today but I still have insane DOMS from Tue. Both times I lifted in Dec I got insanely sore, too. I don't know why I'm so sore lately when I lift. I mean I know I'm out of practice, that is probably all it is. It must be too heavy still for my muscle's capabilities right now, even though I deloaded.
    I should be better tomorrow and go to the gym but I did have to take two days rest instead of one, grrr
    I hope I can get over this hump and back to normal lifting 3x weekly soon.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i Did Not eat gummy bears today. however, i did traipse a few blocks in the fog at lunchtime to buy myself a hyper-premium slush made with two or three real, live kiwi fruit at the asian mall. it was so worth it i don't even know how to express myself. still.

also. i've been (well, at least once this week) doing actual, genuine micro-sprints now and then on my way to and from work. this is something that heavier lifting really does knock out of me, so that's nice.

also. i ride through a big primeval-quality park for the last half-mile or so before getting to work. used to ride round it, or take the edge trails that have things like streetlights on them, but forget that . . . going through is shorter. only thing is, it's primeval and i have to come home after dark every night. in two or three weeks i have not yet made the return trip without getting all lost. it's sort of weird and sometimes borderline spooky wandering around in a place like that in the dark, when you don't have enough range in your front light to see more than around 20 feet ahead of you. i haven't figured out yet whether it's scary or eight-years-old-ish adventurey, or both.
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »

I miss having my regular camera. I work in photo part of the week but we're eventually moving away from wet lab, which means no more developing film. Pretty soon all film will be send out and take weeks to get done. And by done, just the travel portion, the processing doesn't take much time but anything we send out takes so long just with the mailing process both ways. I still miss my Nikon. Should have my mom send it to me as I left it at their house when I moved.

Eep! I don't know how people dealt with film. I need my relatively instant gratification that comes with digital photography.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I woke up this morning squashed into this awkward position in the middle of the bed while my 8-lb cat slept peacefully in my spot with amble room. How do such things always happen?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Eep! I don't know how people dealt with film. I need my relatively instant gratification that comes with digital photography.

We get film every week, actually and have a customer that brings film in almost every week. We even get slides still. Though I'll be glad when we're done with those as I've been working on an order that had hundreds of slides to be put on CDs.

I miss waking up to cats. My parents have some but I don't have a cat at my place, sad days. I'm hoping to find a new, cheaper apartment and be able to afford a pet later this year.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Tara - from Minnesota, 35yo, with about 20lbs to lose. I've been using MFP off/on for a year - with more commitment starting last month. I just starting lurking into the community recently. The main forums seem a little interesting at times. :wink:

Anyway, my littlest just turned a year (motivator to finally get my butt in shape) and I joined a gym for the first time since having kids. I decided to start a SL 5x5. Even in my prior gym-going days I avoided free weights so a lot of this is new to me and I'm looking forward to a group that I can count on for questions/advice.