It wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it felt down right ugly.

Options
Sajyana
Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
Yesterday sucked. It was crap with a crap sauce.

Day 57 dawned. I haven't had an awful day on keto until yesterday. I'd gained 3kgs in 10 days over Christmas with most of those days still being under 50 net carbs but I was still feeling ok and started back under 20 net carbs. Oh My Lord! I had the worst sugar cravings. All day. I was cranky, snarky and popping teaspoons of cream to try and tame the sugar monster. After dinner I chose to have some sweets because it was driving me insane. I packed in 50 grams of pure sugar after dinner.

This morning I felt much, much calmer and woke with no sugar cravings. I decided to start fresh so I jumped on the scale and almost fainted. In 2 days, 2 of the 3 kgs I'd gained over Christmas had vanished. That was a lovely, surprising motivation to the fresh start.

Speculations:
  • Was I craving the sugar because my body needed energy and I'm not fully fat adapted as yet?
  • Was it hormone driven? ***Warning*** Possibly far too much info following but I know there are other mature age women who read the forum so it may be useful info. ;)
    I've been perimenopausal this year and I cycle every 7-8 weeks. Yesterday was 1 week after start of menstruation and the first cycle on keto.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Keep Calm and Keto On. It's a new day. It's a new moment.

Cheers,
Vicki

Replies

• Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Those would be wonderful water pounds .. The first sign your body is going into ketosis! Congratulations!

Sadly it's fluid loss and not fat loss so the minute you come off the diet the water retention returns... I'm restarting a ketogenic diet too so I know how you feel. My weakness is cream cheese and almonds.. Both of which I'm trying hard to refrain from!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Those would be wonderful water pounds .. The first sign your body is going into ketosis! Congratulations!

Sadly it's fluid loss and not fat loss so the minute you come off the diet the water retention returns... I'm restarting a ketogenic diet too so I know how you feel. My weakness is cream cheese and almonds.. Both of which I'm trying hard to refrain from!

Why do you refrain from almonds because I eat a ton of them?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Vicki hopefully you will get to feeling better soon. I have been in ketosis for 90 days now but after I started burning ketones as my main energy source I was OK but the first month was hellish because in my case I had to stop carbs 'cold turkey' but after two weeks the serious cravings stopped. Are you getting enough fats and protein do you think? I was coming up short on protein so I got some powder and that helped with the hunger.
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I do too, that's why I can't have them at first.. I have to get as many of my carbs from my green veggies as possible and leave the rest for my coffee! I use 2tbs half n half per cup and have about 4 cups a day.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Yeah, and I thought cream cheese was OK too? Almonds are not OK?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with cream cheese or almonds.
    Unless that's something that you overeat. I think that's what she meant. That she easily overate them.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Vicki hopefully you will get to feeling better soon. I have been in ketosis for 90 days now but after I started burning ketones as my main energy source I was OK but the first month was hellish because in my case I had to stop carbs 'cold turkey' but after two weeks the serious cravings stopped. Are you getting enough fats and protein do you think? I was coming up short on protein so I got some powder and that helped with the hunger.

I've been back over my food diary and I'm meeting fats and proteins which is why I was surprised. I did increased carbs for 7 days over the holidays. Half those days were under 50 net carbs, a couple were under 30 net and the rest were under 100 net g.

It hit me out of the blue and it hit hard. It has passed now so I'm hoping it was a one off or at least a once every few months occurrence.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Today was kind of a down day for me but did eat seven oranges that were starting to show their age as in the skin was getting hard. It seemed the best I could find that was about 75 carbs so I do not know if that was an issue or it being 60F yesterday and now freezing, etc was at play.

I think at my age and abusing carbs for 40 years I am now hyper sensitive to carbs perhaps.

Hopefully over time some of the damage will reverse. Trying to drill down on the world wide low Vit D3 issue and its side effects on health.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have both been taking the Vit D3 for a few years. It did seem to help with my psoriasis. Not cure it. It just did not seem as severe. Also added Biotin 5000. the 10000 made me feel very ill. I do try to get as much sun as possible and have skin cancer all over my face to prove it. Sigh. Not to worry I am taking care of that too.