Weekly Post - 04/01/15 - 10/01/15

Options

Replies

• uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Weighed in. Finally started losing again. Have now lost 5 kilos since beginning November.
    c56353108.png
  • eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Had to remind myself to look at my weight differently again. I track highest and lowest per week and though it's nice to see those "lowest" numbers each week, what matters is really the "high" number that tracks my weight fluctuations. Even though I haven't seen my "low" number from the week before Christmas again, I have "maintained" that high number of 297ish (ranging from 293 to 297 the past few weeks). That is a whole different type of win during the holiday season.

Do you weigh everyday? I do, and I'm using this site called http://TrendWeight.com and there's some scientific mumbo jumbo (from Hacker's Diet) that I won't get into, but it gives you trends and even if you have an up day on the scale, it's just a blip kind of thing. But love your positive thinking!
  • eychenn
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a great week!

I am definitely having an awesome week - I've officially hit 10lbs lost since I started tracking my diet and actively trying to drop the weight two months ago. And I'm feeling so good about myself/my body - probably the best I've felt in a really long time!! All thanks for 5:2!
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    eychenn wrote: »
    Had to remind myself to look at my weight differently again. I track highest and lowest per week and though it's nice to see those "lowest" numbers each week, what matters is really the "high" number that tracks my weight fluctuations. Even though I haven't seen my "low" number from the week before Christmas again, I have "maintained" that high number of 297ish (ranging from 293 to 297 the past few weeks). That is a whole different type of win during the holiday season.

Do you weigh everyday? I do, and I'm using this site called http://TrendWeight.com and there's some scientific mumbo jumbo (from Hacker's Diet) that I won't get into, but it gives you trends and even if you have an up day on the scale, it's just a blip kind of thing. But love your positive thinking!

I love trendweight, I feel like I mention it all the time but it really helped me maintain some sanity about short term ups and downs in my weight.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Weigh in this morning and I'm 4lb down. That's the water weight gone, now time to work on the fat I put on over my break from 5:2.

Lesson learned:-

don't stop 5:2 and guess, you'll just put on..... :s

Onwards and downwards.

:p
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice!!!

Dork moment: Anyone else practice positive affirmation? I'm not sure if that's the right term, but it's like changing any negative self-talk into positive self talk and repeating it regularly. I guess it's kind of similar to the "laws of attraction" kind of stuff (if anybody remembers the Secret haha) like attract positive things by sending out only positive things/thoughts, etc. My old therapist said we need to think of our brain like a tree and that we can make it grow or shrivel up with positive or negative thoughts.

I totally think this works (if you kept telling yourself your rubbish, then you feel rubbish). I wish I could be better at this. I have to keep practicing. I also think that by sending things out into the universe, even our worries then it doesn't weigh as much on ourselves. That is why I love coming here, it helps me to vent or work things out in my head.

Yesterday I struggled...I caught the snacking bug over Christmas and I can't get rid of it. Although it is a non-fasting day, I know I went over (secret eater). I pre-charted, but then eat off the chart too, so I know I went over (said the dreaded..."I messed up! Oh well might as well make it good" :s ).

Need to reaffirm myself and take control, some things I can't control, this I can!

Fast day for me tomorrow and I refuse to go overboard today...so there! (She says with as much confidence as she can muster.)

Happy weekend everyone B) .
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    [quote="snaps27;30791527Although it is a non-fasting day, I know I went over (secret eater). I pre-charted, but then eat off the chart too, so I know I went over (said the dreaded..."I messed up! Oh well might as well make it good" :s ).

Need to reaffirm myself and take control, some things I can't control, this I can!

[/quote]

Guilty as charged! You are not alone. It's always hard to come off those sugary carbs after the holidays.

Being sick all week didn't really help either. No fasts, no exercise....and I sooo wanted to get back into my routine after vacation. Wasn't too much over on my cals, because there are no treats left in the house. The only way I can control myself at times...

Fasting today. It's 15h, I'm a little hungry, but it's OK. Want to take this one to the home stretch. Jeans still fit, but they are tighter and I don't like what the scale has shown all week. Definitely getting my fasts in next week!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice!!!

Dork moment: Anyone else practice positive affirmation? I'm not sure if that's the right term, but it's like changing any negative self-talk into positive self talk and repeating it regularly. I guess it's kind of similar to the "laws of attraction" kind of stuff (if anybody remembers the Secret haha) like attract positive things by sending out only positive things/thoughts, etc. My old therapist said we need to think of our brain like a tree and that we can make it grow or shrivel up with positive or negative thoughts.

I heard a really good talk by Caroline Leaf where she said the same thing. Our brains are made up of dendrites which look like trees. The dendrites are what transmit the electrical impulses. Those who have had very negative experiences happen to them or think negative thoughts have very sparse looking "trees" in the brain. It's as if the brain is trying to prune off those thoughts and experiences. Those who think positively and are involved with positive experience have very full and lush looking "trees" in their brains. I think there is other stuff in there regarding memories as well. It was very interesting!

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Was very surprised to find myself back at my pre-Christmas weight this morning after my first week back on 5:2. Very grateful. My next goal is to lose 10 lbs by Easter.

We got this! Let's go.

Week 19 - 3 lbs (1.36 kg) 01/09/15 154.6
    Total loss as of 01/09/15 11 lbs (4.99 kg)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Cool, Jknight! Not quite there yet, but I will be!

Feeling so much better today. I also had a good day at work and a good fast today.

Not really thinking of food this evening as I was booking my vacation! Flights and room taken care of!

One week in Dublin with at least 5 people I met on MFP and through 5:2 in the last year or two!

We are a very mixed bunch and have shared the highs and lows of weightloss, have inspired each other to new fitness goals and different exercise routines, followed the dot on the screen, while one of 'us' was running a marathon, cried over pets, we had to let go of. We've laughed via mfp and fb quite a bit and have given each other the occasional butt kick, when needed. Like real friends do, but we've never met in the flesh.

In October we will meet face to face. Friends from around the world.....Sooo awesome!!
  • uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @Debbie, do you think you put on because you ate too much, or because your metabolism had changed, when you stopped 5/2?
  • SofaKween
    SofaKween Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Some amazing weight losses posted these past few days; gives a lot of hope to us newcomers that this works well.

Just finished 4th FD; can't say it was all plain sailing - major wobble around 5 p.m. - but definitely easier that the last one.

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @uptightoutasight‌ it's because I ate too much. :(
  • faz2722
    faz2722 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, doing my very first fast day today. As I had a Saturday morning lay in, I'm not feeling it too much so far. I have been doing the MFP 1200 cals and since November I managed to lose 4kg and keep it off (even with Xmas indulgence). Has anyone else swapped from MFP 1200 cals to 5.2? If so, have you found 5.2 more effective than MFP 1200 cals? And what about if you have about 10kg to lose - does 5.2 work still or do I need to look at a 4.3 pattern? I am finding this 10kg hard to shift and keep off and I'm fed up with feeling guilty if I go over 1200 cals a day or not seeing any significant change! Everyone keeps telling me it'll be harder for me to lose 10kg as I don't have a lot to lose in the grand scheme but that doesn't help my mindset. Sorry for all the questions
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Down 3 lbs this week doing 4:3 but I still have a lb of holiday weight I really wanted off.
    Next week I hope to continue this success.
    I'm just checking in quick and will come back and read and respond later.
  • eychenn
    Options
    faz2722 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, doing my very first fast day today. As I had a Saturday morning lay in, I'm not feeling it too much so far. I have been doing the MFP 1200 cals and since November I managed to lose 4kg and keep it off (even with Xmas indulgence). Has anyone else swapped from MFP 1200 cals to 5.2? If so, have you found 5.2 more effective than MFP 1200 cals? And what about if you have about 10kg to lose - does 5.2 work still or do I need to look at a 4.3 pattern? I am finding this 10kg hard to shift and keep off and I'm fed up with feeling guilty if I go over 1200 cals a day or not seeing any significant change! Everyone keeps telling me it'll be harder for me to lose 10kg as I don't have a lot to lose in the grand scheme but that doesn't help my mindset. Sorry for all the questions

Hi faz! That's exactly what I did - I was eating 1200 calories/day for about 3 weeks, with minimal results and not feeling very happy about it (perhaps 3 weeks wasn't a great indicator though). I switched to 5:2 and so happy I did - it works really well for my lifestyle, and not only did I start seeing steady results, I've learned more about control, hunger and being able to deal with it.

I can't tell you whether or not to do 5:2 or 4:3, but perhaps start with a few weeks of 5:2 to ease into it, and as fast days become easier, go on to do 4:3. I find that for me, sometimes I find myself not hungry and able to turn an unplanned fast day into a fast day (did that make sense? lol)
  • faz2722
    faz2722 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi faz! That's exactly what I did - I was eating 1200 calories/day for about 3 weeks, with minimal results and not feeling very happy about it (perhaps 3 weeks wasn't a great indicator though). I switched to 5:2 and so happy I did - it works really well for my lifestyle, and not only did I start seeing steady results, I've learned more about control, hunger and being able to deal with it.

I can't tell you whether or not to do 5:2 or 4:3, but perhaps start with a few weeks of 5:2 to ease into it, and as fast days become easier, go on to do 4:3. I find that for me, sometimes I find myself not hungry and able to turn an unplanned fast day into a fast day (did that make sense? lol)

Hi eychenn,

Thank you for replying - it makes perfect sense! I'm glad to hear about learning more about control, hunger etc. as learning to have a better and guilt free relationship with food would be an amazing by-product as well as hopefully getting rid of these 10kg! I'll definitely see how I go on 5.2 and then try 4.3 if I need to. I think that's a good approach as I want to stick to it and not frighten myself out of sticking to it. I'm 20 hours since my last "normal" meal and so far I'm coping pretty well so this does seem achievable but may it's just a first timers high! He he!
  • eychenn
    Options

Hi eychenn,

Thank you for replying - it makes perfect sense! I'm glad to hear about learning more about control, hunger etc. as learning to have a better and guilt free relationship with food would be an amazing by-product as well as hopefully getting rid of these 10kg! I'll definitely see how I go on 5.2 and then try 4.3 if I need to. I think that's a good approach as I want to stick to it and not frighten myself out of sticking to it. I'm 20 hours since my last "normal" meal and so far I'm coping pretty well so this does seem achievable but may it's just a first timers high! He he!

It's definitely easier to handle after a few fasts! Good luck and this is an amazing support group :smiley:

• ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Anyone else practice positive affirmation?

I believe it is very important and it is something I do, as well as practicing oral and internal statements of gratitude. What we nurture grows. I also meditate, including metta meditation.
    IF you are seeking examples of positive affirmations there are actually many on youtube.
    Some that I repeat are as follows:
    I choose healthy foods that glorify my body
    Everyday I can feel myself becoming more fit
    I am beautiful
    I deserve a healthy body
    My efforts make a difference
    I make decisions that positively affect my life and others
    I am fortunate to greet another wonderful day that allows me the opportunity improve myself
    I honor another day of life by following a path that extends it
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else swapped from MFP 1200 cals to 5.2? If so, have you found 5.2 more effective than MFP 1200 cals?
    This is what I have done. I find it to be more enjoyable than 1200 per day, as well as inducing less guilt which I think will prove quite beneficial in achieving our ultimate goals.
    Last night I had a Mexican feast and consumed, what I felt, to be far too much food because of feeling way too stuffed. Old habits are hard to break and guilt set it, but I believe that is old ways of thinking still clinging. I could have never had a Mexican meal while adhering to 1200 a day. (When I calculated my cals yesterday I didn't even hit 1400 for the day.)
    5:2 seems to have affected the amount of food it takes for me to feel full and as previously stated, teaches you to dismiss hunger sensations. Why? I know not. hahaa but i'll take it.