Keto and Excersize

kiknitwite
kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
I know that with keto working out isn't the top priority, but i think that being active will help with my overall health. I'm looking to committing to hitting the gym 3 days a week. Doing things like, light weight training, yoga, swimming, walking/jogging on the track. What types of work outs are other ketoers doing? Or not doing and what differences in working out vs not working out make?

Replies

• janhiness
    janhiness Posts: 32 Member
    Working out makes me feel better than not working out. Although I do think weight lifting hinders my loss. I'm probably losing inches but I'm more concerned with the number on the scale. I have started jogging and the weight comes off quicker when I do that. I have a lot of fat and I know some people can lose weight without going to the gym but I do not want a lot of skin hanging so I make sure I go and workout so I can tone. It's up to you and what your goal is.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    In the beginning, I took walks and did low-impact aerobics vids and played soccer with the kids. After doing Keto for 7 mo, I've worked up to strength training 3 days/week and cardio of some kind the other 4 days (hiking, brisk walk, soccer, or 30-Day Shred). I hate just running for its own sake. Unless it's back inside b/c it's time to make supper. :wink: Fat + Protein = NOMs
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    I think if you are already active, you should stick with whatever you enjoy. If you are looking to be more active, start slow. Yoga, swimming and definitely walking are all low impact and will help you feel better. Just don't push yourself, especially if you are fairly new to KETO, the bodies' adjustment phase is pretty intense and you need to learn to listen to it.

I know there are many members here (like baconslave) who have been KETO for an extended time and are pretty active, so it's obviously doable. Just pay attention to your body and keep your electrolytes balanced. Being more active on KETO is a goal of mine as well, but I am just focusing on walking more for the next few weeks and will add in some strength and higher impact cardio once it warms up a little.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    I have been keto adapted since June '14 and in July I started a cross fit/jiu jitsu/boxing routine with a personal trainer. It definitely slows down my scale numbers but I feel amazing. I have lost 42 lbs and my hubby told me the other night that I was skinny - I haven't heard that since high school. LOL I up my protein a bit (about 50g) on workout days. It helps keep my energy in check. I did take the last 2 weeks off for the holidays and dropped 9 lbs....so yes, working out can slow the scale, but it's doing other things that are equally (if not more) important in my opinion.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2015
    I think you are on the right track. I say do what you feel comfortable doing. On Keto, I find I have a LOT more energy than in years past. I'm 54 years old and three months ago I could barely get out of my chair or walk up a flight of stairs. Now I'm doing weight training and cardio 3-4 days a week, with very little joint pain or inflammation afterward. The health club owner recently called me an "overachiever" - something he never would've said had he seen the old me.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    I joined my local Anytime Fitness after 6 months of keto w/o exercise (I was down 40 pounds at that point). I decided to pay for their group training program, I go three times a week and work with a trainer there in a group of 4-6 people. It ends up being a mix of cardio/strength (surely more cardio than muscle building). Some bodyweight exercises, some kettlebell exercises, some dumbbells.

I will probably do this for the full year that I've committed to paying for, its not an ideal training plan but I like the people and it gets me there, something I'm not sure I would have continued to do on my own. After the year is up I expect I will keep the gym membership but not pay for the training and will begin a more serious weightlifting routine.

I'm working on adding in more cardio days and trying to just be more active in general. Given the level of sedentary taht I'm used to, everything I do helps but its slow going.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    I love walking, kettle bells and jogging when i have the energy. Unlike now, because I have keto flu from my holiday binge. :expressionless:
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    I work out pretty hard -- strength training and HIIT cardio -- 3x a week. If it's in the morning, I work out fasted and have breakfast afterwards. In the evening, I'm not fasted but I don't eat dinner until afterwards or I'll feel gross.

I think any exercise is better than no exercise, but that's just me.