The Man's Prayer

Options
beemerphile1
beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." Red Green

About five months ago I admitted I was bordering on obesity and had to change. I used to pride myself on being fit and in shape. At age 59 I decided that I intended to change myself by age 60 because I had to, I guess. :)

Aches, pains, and a fat belly were just too much to bear.

So far I have lost 37 pounds and am getting more fit. My goal is to be under 200 by my birthday in May 2015. It looks doable.

C'mon men, you can change. "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!"

Any other Red Green fans?

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

Replies

• runsmiles
    Options
    Way to go, Beemer! I faced a similar decision point approaching my 50th birthday a few years ago. I chose to be healthy and reclaim my lost decade of my 40s. So I made my New Years Resolution for 2011 and went at it with determination to go all out and do it right.

I went to the gym everyday for at least an hour. I consulted a personal trainer and nutritionist. I ate healthy - low carb but lots of healthy stuff. I kept a precise food diary (like myfitnesspal offers). I slept well too. I set intermediate goals for myself and I blew through them - first in belt sizes and then in pounds, and then in miles run and then in speed+distance.

Achieving each milestone gave me more than enough motivation to reach for the next. By the time my 50th birthday arrived in June I had lost almost 150 pounds. Weeks later I won my local Lifetime Fitness 90-day challenge (top 10 nationally). By year's end I had lost 200 pounds and had become a distance runner! Last year I logged 1600+ miles running and loved every one of them.

Stick with it. Everyone. You're worth it!