Retention

Options
So, I had an epiphany when I read an article in the Blog about retention. It made me feel pretty good about what my body is doing even though I have been watching my eating habits and working out more. When we start a new fitness program, there are fibers in our muscles that tear because we haven't used them that often. When they tear, it releases fluid into our body and that could relfect on the scale as weight gain and can be pretty significant. Rest days are important because the fibers are able to heal and then your body can absorb the fluid. There is no time period really on how long this will go on and can be different from one person to the next but don't get discouraged if you are like me and are working out harder than you have in a few years. My scale showed a 3lb weight gain last week but #1, period and #2 i have not worked out that hard in a few years so...retention. After the fibers get stronger, your muscles start developing and then you get the muscle gain and you start to lose inches. AKA, your pants start fitting better. The MFP blog has really great articles and I encourage anyone who has not gone on it to check it out.
Go, Combat!!! :)

Replies

• infinikitty
    infinikitty Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! It's a good reminder that you should just trust the process and it will all come in time :-)