ketone strips.. any thoughts?

Options
I haven't considered ketone strips in years.. I remember in the late 90s early 2000 they seemed crutial to low carb dieting. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences using them? What was your "sweet spot" color wise and how often or what time of day did you test?

I realize many factors such as hydration and amounts consumed can skew results.. But im considering purchasing some for a little motivation and would appreciate any tips.

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Cherie here is a long post about this.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10037413/test-your-blood-sugar-today/p1://

I have been checking mine with the keto stix once a day and it has been high moderate.
  • MessiGardener
    MessiGardener Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I started this keto diet, my stick registered at next to the highest color. I haven't hit it again. I've been ketoing since Dec 20, 2014, 17 days. Finally, yesterday and today it has been mid-range, which is where I think I'd like to keep it. I haven't eaten any fruits except lemon juice in my water sometimes, a few dried cranberries in a salad I bought a couple of days ago, and an avocado. I do however eat broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc... I have a hard time getting enough fats in. I've set my ratios at 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs. I'm almost always too low on fat and too high in carbs, but still am feeling like I'm doing the right thing for me. Also I've started using Morton's Lite Salt to keep up the potassium, magnesium and sodium.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Previously I have used ketone strips to see if I was registering a decent reading. I would usually adjust intake until I was at least regiatering medium to mid-high levels. I know it has been said that you should not rely on them because after you are keto-adapted they dont work as effectively. However, for me, until I know for sure that I am staying in ketosis consistently it is a great tool. For the $7 I get them for I domt think it does me much harm, personally.