How to make certain veggies taste better?

Options
2»

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    jgreen0524 wrote: »
    I enjoy cooking brussels in a pan with oil until brown, then adding bacon (that was cooked beforehand) and cream and simmering it down to a creamy sauce. SO GOOD.

I have a wonderful brussel sprout and bacon recipe but id have to say jsut about any veggie cooked/fried/baked in bacon fat with or with out bacon itself is amazing. Bacon makes everything amazing.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,570 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    I enjoy cooking brussels in a pan with oil until brown, then adding bacon (that was cooked beforehand) and cream and simmering it down to a creamy sauce. SO GOOD.

I have a wonderful brussel sprout and bacon recipe but id have to say jsut about any veggie cooked/fried/baked in bacon fat with or with out bacon itself is amazing. Bacon makes everything amazing.

And this is why I have a mason jar of filtered bacon fat in my refrigerator!

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

And this is why I have a mason jar of filtered bacon fat in my refrigerator!

LOL hubby puts the bacon fat run off into an old clean crisco container and keeps it in the fridge. We use that stuff all the time.

But we've found that in order to get bacon fat, we need store bought bacon. Our own pigs we raise and butcher are so lean they dont have enough fat in the bacon to make excess bacon fat :(
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love veggies, it'd be easier to list which veggies I don't like lol (turnips and beets, that's just about it - gross!)

That said, I am sure I am not posting anything anyone else hasn't said, but in any event, here is what I do to enhance stuff.

1. Try pan frying your veggies in various types of oils or leftover grease (e.g. bacon grease, or maybe grease left over from cooking a delicious steak.) As far as oil goes, sunflower seed oil is one of my personal favorites (good for pork too!)

Also, if you're cooking protein at the same time, most certainly let the veggies share the pan :)

2. Use fresh veggies - seriously, once you go fresh you'll never go back. Canned is mushy and tasteless; frozen is also meh (not as bad as canned though.)

3. I know you didn't mention Kale, but you could always take some fresh leafy kale, break into medium pieces, lightly dust with olive oil, and sprinkle with a bit of salt, then pop them in the oven to make crispy kale chips (they're awesome, but careful - easy to burn.)

4. Hot sauce is awesome, and so is mayo (Dukes mayo is one of the few brands without any sugar and what not btw.)
  • ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I didn't read this entire thread, so I apologize if someone already suggested this. I highly recommend FlavorGod seasonings. They are amazing. If you've seen that old lady on the Frank's Red Hot Sauce commercial saying "I put that s*it on everything"....that's exactly how I feel about flavorgod. Plus the guy makes it from scratch, fresh, and you're supporting a small business. The price is worth every penny and the size of containers are way bigger than Ms. Dash or other comparisons. flavorgod.com