Timing...is it everything?

Options
suzyqholland
suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
Here's a question for y'all: how important do you think it is to spread your calories out over the day? What are your ratios? I'm finding that I eat almost 50% of my daily calories after 6:00pm. Is this a factor in my slow weight loss? Opinions?

Replies

• suzyqholland
    Options
    (In response to Snoozie's reply to this but in the revamped discussion by mistake).

I eat sensibly throughout the day but eat my big meal at night with my husband; typically around 6:45ish. I'm trying not to eat anything after 8:00pm. I usually go to bed around midnight. So, there are several hours between eating and sleeping. I've been wondering if I should do some type of evening stretching/yoga type activity to get my metabolism working. I don't know how to cut down my dinner calories without making two separate meals every night....and that isn't going to happen..I hate cooking every night as it is.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    looking around... k... yep in the right place this time!! :D

Hmmm. k... I can relate to the late hours cause with my shifts, I kinda end up eating 24/7 some days, and on dayshift I'm in bed by 8pm (sigh) .. so... assuming u finish dinner around 7pm most days, (and suzy I have to confess I laughed out loud at the making two separate meals line..NOT!) that slayed me ... can you even IMAGINE having to cook two?? gak!!

ok.. sorry .. ummm. well, I would say you've hit the nail on the head for the best answer - if you could get in even 30 minutes of stretching or yoga halfway between dinner and bedtime, that would probably kick start your metabolism... or even some beginner strength training stuff with a resistance band?? cause ST keeps burning cals even after you've finished.... and im not talking strenuous stuff but I got a few from my doc on a card thing..with pictures, some of which u can even do sitting down lol... but honestly I think you have the perfect idea.. some form of movement for a bit inbetween dinner and bedtime should help that scale get moving again? or rolling on a yoga ball even if you have one?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I can eat sensibly during the day, but when I get home I am so starved, I ALWAYS overeat at Dinner. So I am going to try and eat more at lunch and less at night. I wake up with a puffy face when I overeat, so I have a handmade sign with this on it, by the fridge handle......If you OVEREAT, you will get a FATface!! I hope it works! :o
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I need to put my old pic back up... from 2009... not flattering....
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Gail... do you snack at all between lunch and dinner?? I cannot possibly go without eating from lunch til dinner time; i'd eat the house by the time I get home!! I often bring some chicken salad or some cheese and crackers to chow down on to tide me over... filling and protein..? maybe you could try adding in acouple of snacks during the afternoon too?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    No, that's where my problem is...I try to stay out of the breakroom, because I will have to eat when I am sitting with others eating. Even when I bring healthy snacks...I still overeat at night...I'm talking eating till hurtfully full.... So my plan is to make a protein shake and that will fill me up while I am fixing dinner and I may not be able to eat a lot of solid stuff.. fingers crossed.
  • Snooozie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm guessing you can't eat at your desk/work area - you have to go to the break room to do so? (it was like that when I worked at the bookstore, couldn't eat on the floor but I used to stash a bag of nuts in my vest pocket and hide behind a bookshelf to chow down sometimes LOLOL...) but that makes it awfully tough as you said when you gotta go to a break room ... and I hear what you're saying about night time eating... been there, done that.. honestly often i find i'm just eating anything out of boredom or emotions at night.. im certainly not actually hungry... I know I have a bad relationship with food; its how I ended up overweight in the first place lol.. and why I'm working on changing that relationship... but I can relate to the eat til hurting full part for sure... so kudos to you on working out a solution for you to try!!!! (lol @ the fridge sign btw... love it!!)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    no can't eat at desk...although we push the limits with hiden things, too..lol Mine is usually out of boredom or stress....just mindless munching.... something's going to work, I've just got to keep trying things.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    It helps to know I'm not alone in my struggles. Right now I feel so completely out of control. I really think a lot of it is the cold and wet weather. I'm not getting the exercise I'm used to and it's playing with my head! Plus my husband is working from home this week and I'm really ready for him to go back to the office! I have to snap out of it! Put on my big girl panties and get with the program!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - c'mon over to the revamped thread.... we'll commiserate with ya!