Grain Brain?

lifeofheart
lifeofheart Posts: 13 Member
Is anyone on this plan in particular? I am just starting out, but would love to know how it is going/went. My goal is to lose about 25 pounds, improve my thinking, and run a half marathon all by June 15th. Too ambitious?

Also, what do you have to limit your protein to in order to go into ketosis?

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    What is a "Grain Brain" diet?

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    An overview of the diet- chewfo.com/diets/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter-md-2013-brain-health-food-list/

I would think keeping your protein lower than 1g per pound of bodyweight, but you may need to go lower. As low as half a gram per lb of bodyweight. I personally would keep your protein moderate, and fat higher. (which is what I do. I exercise daily but I'm no athlete.) But YMMV.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    I started taking some of the supps he recommends, seemed like good reasons.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    That one's next on my to-read list. Just finishing up "Wheat Belly" right now.
  • lifeofheart
    Glad to hear that people are interested in the book (Ditto Dan, the book title is Grain Brain and the author is Dr. Perlmutter, neurologist and certified nutritionist. In a nutshell, his argument is that a diet that includes gluten, grains, and/or lots of carbs is really not good for our health--esp. our brains). Thank you BIG TIME, baconslave, for answering my question about protein!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Glad to hear that people are interested in the book (Ditto Dan, the book title is Grain Brain and the author is Dr. Perlmutter, neurologist and certified nutritionist. In a nutshell, his argument is that a diet that includes gluten, grains, and/or lots of carbs is really not good for our health--esp. our brains). Thank you BIG TIME, baconslave, for answering my question about protein!

It looks like a Paleo Keto diet. Would you agree?

Dan the Man from Michigan

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    I read parts of Grain Brain when I first started out. I think it is fairly accurate for the most part. I did my own kind of "scientific testing" over the holidays when I didn't eat keto for two weeks. Felt awful, terrible headache every day, tired every day, etc. Keto has been great and I'm so glad to be back at it this week.

I don't think your goal is too ambitious at all, but I suppose the 25lbs depends on your SW and GW and if you are already close to a healthy body fat percentage/BMI. Still I don't think 25lbs by June is unreasonable. I do feel sharper when eating keto than I do eating high carb foods, for what it's worth.
  • lifeofheart
    Ditto Dan, it is kind of Paleo Keto, if I understand what that it (I have never done that). I think that the main differences may be that the Grain Brain diet does allow for dairy and some sugars (for example, you can have four squares of 70% chocolate daily, or a few times per week). I think that the book may differ in its focus on how carbs have a negative impact on the brain, whereas I think that prior texts tended to focus on how carbs affect overall health or things like diabetes and particular cancers. Perlmutter talks a lot about those, but concentrates on the relationship between a high carb diet and dementia.

aeb09, I also noticed that I feel a lot sharper! This happened almost immediately for me! That effect alone was enough to keep me going.