What is your favourite healthy-ish recipe?

Options
Right now, I'm addicted to this Italian spinach orzo soup, which is pretty quick to make for a soup (~30 minutes), and I added it in the MFP recipe thing, which tells me it's about 200-250 calories per serving. And it's meatless, which is hard for us to do in any dishes my husband will eat, but makes it cheaper to make.

But I'm always up to hear new recipes, so I'd love to hear your favourites!

Replies

• one_great_smile
    one_great_smile Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love Chicken Noodle Soup, homemade. I usually double the veggies and halve the meat, and sometimes I'll leave out the noodles to lower the amount of carbs.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/quick-chick-and-noodle-soup-recipe.html
  • tamrminty
    tamrminty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Chicken Vegetable soup. I boil the carcass of a chicken from a previous meal, take the bones out. Put in chopped cabbage, roasted carrots, celery, garlic and yellow onion. Boil for about an hour and I gots soup.
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do cookies count? I've gotten hooked - and the bratpack hooked - on my healthy cookies. Just shove bananas and oatmeal in a blender, blend it to oblivion (it should look thick but well moistened - wet enough to scoop out with a spoon/cookie scoop, but still mostly hold its shape), add in stuff if you want to (a touch of cinnamon & a couple tablespoons of PB2 is my favourite), grease the f out of a pan, and bake at 350f for about 12-15 minutes (till the bottom gets nicely goldened). It's sweet, and it's kinda like a banana bread more than a cookie, but pretty low-cal, and since it's just bananas and oats (and whatever you put in it) it's actually pretty healthy. Plus it's fun to make my toddler think he's eating cookies for dinner.
  • lilyladyj
    Options
    Chicken chili in the crock pot. Bell pepper, onion, chicken breast (or thighs), taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and about 6 hours later the chicken just falls apart. Add black beans if you're into that but I prefer it lower carb.
  • aerven42
    aerven42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken lettuce wraps. Boneless skinless chicken breasts (sliced up), cilantro (if you like), mung bean sprouts, green onion, fresh ginger all wrapped up in romaine heart leaves. With hoisin sauce and Sriracha. So good and filling
  • BlondeNklutzi
    BlondeNklutzi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We love crustless pizza. Not exactly health food, but a bit better than regular pizza, especially since I try to stay low carb.

8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup grated parmesan (I just eyeball it), pepper, and garlic powder mixed up, then spread into the bottom of a casserole dish and baked for about 5-8 minutes. Top with pizza sauce, cheese and toppings, then bake until it is all melted. I fat free cream cheese and low fat mozzarella.

I think I will be trying lilyladyj's chicken chili soon!
  • lilyladyj
    Options
    BlondeNklutzi if you like crustless pizza have you tried noodleless lasagna? It's fantastic. Take all the ingredients from normal lasagna, layer accordingly, but just leave out the noodles and make sure to use lower carb pasta sauce. Sometimes when I'm feeling like putting in effort I serve it on shaved zucchini or spaghetti squash.
  • songbird421
    songbird421 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try a lot of recipes from Cooking Light, which is a great resource if you love to cook. Most of the recipes aren't very difficult, but can be time-consuming. They have some that are specifically done in 20 minutes or less, but most are about 30-45 minutes from start to serve.
  • tamrminty
    tamrminty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love shepherds pie, except I use ground turkey and sweet potatoes. Or, turkey lettuce burgers (for the Celiac) with pepperjack cheese.
  • megnolia84
    Options
    We've been eating this about once a week. I'm a vegetarian, so it's fine as is for me. I bake and shred a small chicken breast for DH to stir into his. Two servings for less than 300 calories, topped with a little sour cream. If I have the calories, I'll also crush up a few tortilla chips on top. We're all about soups during the winter.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/01/black-eyed-pea-chili-with-quinoa-and-corn.html
  • laura_cristina_b2
    Options
    This paleo alla vodka is super yummy, had it as a side with some roasted chicken the other night, or is good with veggies or on its own: http://www.planksloveandguacamole.com/2014/05/paleo-ala-vodka.html - it looks like a lot of steps but actually whipped up pretty quick the other night and only took a few minutes of "active" cook time, the food processor does most of it, so I was able to do it with my one year old all over.
  • RainSerana
    RainSerana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love pretty much anything from budgetbytes.com and iowagirleats.com. Iowa Girl has some really awesome "lighter" versions of chinese takeout that we eat pretty often.
  • carrotplease
    carrotplease Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the avocado dressing from this recipe: http://ifoodreal.com/healthy-creamy-mexican-kale-salad/

The kale salad is pretty good too, but make sure to use "4 cups" of loose leaves pushed into a measuring cup, not the weight equivalent (32 ounces) or you will be drowning in kale and your intestines will hate you.

For the dressing, I quadrupled the recipe and keep a jar of it in the fridge, it goes well on all kinds of things (and I've even used it as sauce for pasta/chicken. :)