Savory Fat Bombs?

Options
hippygirl325
hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
I'm trying to stay away from the artificial sweeteners and right now I don't have any coconut products, but sometimes I have trouble getting my fat percentage up there enough so I wanted to possibly try making some fat bombs. I have cream cheese, olive oil, and butter. I was thinking about maybe making something with the cream cheese and butter and maybe add some bacon and cheese? Do you guys make these kind of things?

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I make them with cream cheese, butter, stevia (which i grew myself so its natural) and flavoring like vanilla or lemon. You can probably get away from the stevia if you dont like that natural sweetner either.

Ive never tried it with bacon or cheese but I'd love to hear your experiences if you do try it.
  • MessiGardener
    MessiGardener Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about them but haven't tried making them yet. Please let me know how you like your experiment.
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i am experimenting with ground chia and oil, but i haven't created a recipe worth sharing yet.

a couple tablespoons of cream cheese wrapped in thin sliced deli salami is a good fatty snack.

lately, i've been dipping avocado into sour cream or melted butter. also very fatty.

i recently discovered mascarpone cheese. if you've never had it, it is somewhat like philadephia cream but it has a naturally sweet taste. check the different brands, though-- i've seen the carb range from 0 to 5. the next sweet fat bombs i make will be with these
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
  • mmmarshmallow
    mmmarshmallow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've started using hollandaise sauce as a fat bomb - 1 x egg yolk, 100g butter, juice of one lemon. Smear it on all the things. Yum! Best part is I found a recipe that uses an immersion blender so it takes all of 2 minutes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    I've started using hollandaise sauce as a fat bomb - 1 x egg yolk, 100g butter, juice of one lemon. Smear it on all the things. Yum! Best part is I found a recipe that uses an immersion blender so it takes all of 2 minutes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html

My only issue with that is the recipe says it cannot be cooled and reheated and 1 and 1/2 cups of hollandaise is alot for one person at once, heh.

• ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

wow...sounds SO good. I must put this on my meal plan for next week! Thanks for sharing. I'm just going to use regular cream cheese though, as much as I wish I did, I don't have time to be making Kefir cream cheese ;) Boy...that homemade Kefir cream cheese does sound lovely though....and I'm sure the health benefits of the probiotics are good, compared to regular cream cheese, which doesn't have any.

• jgreen0524
    jgreen0524 Posts: 15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not a "bomb" other than a calorie dump of fat- but have you tried melting butter onto pork rinds and flavoring them with powered cheese? It sounds weird, but it's great. I like to use these- https://www.kernelseasons.com/
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make a cheeseball and eat it with a spoon. I use cream cheese, pepperoni, green onions, and Worcestershire sauce.
  • hippygirl325
    Options
    Mmm, that sounds good.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Any dairy-free fat bombs? Or is that known as "spoonful of oil"? ;)
  • hippygirl325
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Spoonful of oil, ew. Well, you could do the whole "want some veggies with that lake of butter?" type thing.
  • hippygirl325
    Options
    Oh but butter is dairy...I fail.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Could make that butter into ghee, depending on the nature/reason for dairy-free.

Or spoonful of coconut butter. :)

You can probably use an animal fat of some sort to provide a little more warmth-tolerance, so your fat bomb doesn't insta-melt on a hot day.

I can't remember what it's called, but many hunters of hunter-gatherer populations would make something akin to a fat bomb by mixing together animal fat and nuts, seeds, berries, etc. The Inuit have something like it, but they mix snow in (akutaq, or Eskimo Ice Cream). It provided fuel on long hunts, though I have no clue about the taste.

As for the original question -- I would think any cheese ball recipe would be good, at least for a base. Most cheese balls (at least that I'm used to) are served as appetizers, and so tend to be savory.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    I need to figure out to make ghee. Both DH and ds10 are lactose intolerant and I hate using margarine. It would be nice to figure out how to make cream sauces for them. LCHF problems...
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @baconslave- I buy ghee online (vitacost, luckyvitamin) I think it doesn't cost any more to buy it than to purchase all the butter to make it. (I use grass-fed butter, it costs a little more.)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Could make that butter into ghee, depending on the nature/reason for dairy-free.

Or spoonful of coconut butter. :)

You can probably use an animal fat of some sort to provide a little more warmth-tolerance, so your fat bomb doesn't insta-melt on a hot day.

I can't remember what it's called, but many hunters of hunter-gatherer populations would make something akin to a fat bomb by mixing together animal fat and nuts, seeds, berries, etc. The Inuit have something like it, but they mix snow in (akutaq, or Eskimo Ice Cream). It provided fuel on long hunts, though I have no clue about the taste.

As for the original question -- I would think any cheese ball recipe would be good, at least for a base. Most cheese balls (at least that I'm used to) are served as appetizers, and so tend to be savory.

Pemmican.

• nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    @baconslave- I buy ghee online (vitacost, luckyvitamin) I think it doesn't cost any more to buy it than to purchase all the butter to make it. (I use grass-fed butter, it costs a little more.)

I saw Ghee at the grocery store. It was in a glass jar down an aisle, so I imagine it's shelf stable? Kinda weirded me out.