VGS- When did you notice the weight loss slow? and tears of happiness!

Options
Hi Guys,
Quick question, I'm aware that we have a specific window of opportunity for weight loss before things start slowing down and your body starts to maintain (some say 12 months some say 18 months) I'm 5 months post op and almost lost 40kgs and the weight is still going down well- just wondering when other, more long term sleevers, noticed the weight loss slowing and they had to step things up?

On another note I just got rid of all my large clothes!! ARGH! I shrank out of them some time ago but psychologically couldn't bring myself to pass them on. Those clothes have been sorted and bagged so many times but gradually returned to my wardrobe as my weight yoyo'd on the normal, diet cycle of hell, but now I've passed a point, I've dared to believe, dropped the barriers and allowed my brain to be hopeful that this weight wasn't going to come back... it felt scary, it felt AMAZING... it was incredible to rid my wardrobe of the clothes I've bought over 6 years, the clothes that have represented depressing shopping trips, hanging out in shops that I don't like, styles that aren't me, clothes I bought just because they fitted, clothes that carried crazy price tags, it felt like such a huge and beautiful thing for me, there were little tears of happiness. I love my sleeve!

I'm 3 kilos (7lbs) off the 100kg mark which blows my mind. I never dared to believe this could happen, even after reading all the forums, all the success stories...I had been disappointed and felt like a failure so many times before I just didn't dare to believe. I'm now two thrids of the way there, its incredible, still have a lot of weight to lose, but even if I didn't lose another kilo the op, the risks, the pain were all worth it. Its such a hard and damaging cycle, battling with weight, battling with the self loathing because its such an 'easy' thing to change. I love my sleeve!

Congrats to everyone and happy new year!

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Ive heard you lose the most in (about) your 1st 6 (to 9 months if youre lucky).
    Then you wont lose nearly as fast.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS for being able to throw out your large clothes!!! Doesn't it feel great?
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Congrats :smile:

I think the "window" is different for each of us. I know people who lose consistently for years. In fact, my own sister has maintained a 180 lb weight loss (from 360 lbs starting weight) for several years. It took her about 2-3 years to get rid of that weight.

I think it depends on how much you have to lose, how compliant you are with the prescribed diet and exercise, how old you are, and so forth. The weight loss is slower and more gradual for people who start at the low end of obese - between say 35 and 45 BMI. They may hit plateaus earlier and more frequently than those who are more obese. People who are heavier and have more to lose typically lose a lot of weight very quickly. Because they have more to lose, I think their window is longer.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what katematt said. I think the slow down is also, often, related to diet fatigue. People simply get sick of the prescribed meal plan and let things like those sneaky carbs back into their diet. My weight loss honeymoon won't be over until I get to goal - no matter how long that takes! (For what it's worth, I'm 9 months post-op and had a bit of a slow down in December but I know it was 100% due to grazing. I've been back on track since after Christmas and the weight loss as picked up again.)
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I believe what OP was asking is the window of opportunity for losing the most weight.
    We will continue to over the whole process, but the "honeymoon" period is what I believe she's referring to!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I lost 126 poulds total with 90% of that in 9 months. At 16 months out I am maintaining weight within about a 5-7 pound range.
  • Kezonator
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm not over concerned just curious what other peoples experiences have been, I've read the info available but it's never the same as people saying their individual experience even though we are all different! Thaaaaank you!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I believe it's an individual thing. I was sleeved 3.5 years ago. I hit a stall at 9 months out that lasted 4 months. Since then it's never been as it was. I lose slowly, but I'm still losing. Between my 2 year check up and my 3 year check up I lost 15 pounds. Other than my recent bump up (I stopped working the program over the holidays, no other reason) I am continuing to lose. I have a goal weight of 160. I started at 386, so to hit that I needed to lose a total of 226 pounds. I was warned that I shouldn't expect to hit goal in a year and then with the stall and slow down, well I'm still not to goal, but I am still working on it. Just 64 more pounds to go. :) I guess my point is, there's really no set answer to your question and as long as you want to continue to lose and your body allows it, you can.