Not much interest in this way of eating I guess!

Options
AmIhealthyyet
AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
I was going to cancel my MFP account! I am done dieting and worrying about everything! Dieting has consumed my life! I saw this group but very few members or activity! Hmmm I will give it a week or so!

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    This group is like a black hole -- everyone that joins it immediately disappears. :laugh:

Wish I had some insight or experience to share, I am miserable at intuitive eating but I keep trying! Feel free to add me if you want to strategize . . .
  • slenderyeppie
    slenderyeppie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel like maybe MFP calorie-counting may be very against IE principles! After all, we're supposed to eat what our body craves, not according to numbers or "healthy" suggestions. What are some hardships you guys have experienced? For me, it's the fear that I'll gain lots of weight.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    ^^ Agreed. For me, it's that I want more food than I need (sounds simple but really gets in the way of IE). I don't know how to discern true bodily hunger, and even if I could, how do I know it would be the right intake to maintain my current weight (which I admit was chosen for aesthetic purposes and I did not consult my body on that decision). When I tried to stop counting calories and maintain, I was constantly second guessing myself -- am I REALLY hungry? Should I eat now? Should I wait another 30 minutes? Should I eat until I feel full or stop before? If I don't eat now, am I going to get hypoglycemic and die if I don't get to eat later? I gained weight trying IE -- I had also stopped logging so am not sure how much I was eating. Counting calories is easier and much less stressful, somehow. My ultimate goal is to not to have to do it though -- it's always good to have a slightly unattainable goal!
  • slenderyeppie
    Options
    I think the same thing: "If I don't eat now, am I going to get hypoglycemic and die if I don't get to eat later?"
    I'm not diabetic but I respond pretty badly to low blood sugar. I get noticeably irritable, I get wild temperature changes, I get nauseous.

Right now my hope is that I'll get to my happy weight, then focus on being an intuitive eater. That way I can weigh myself once a month or so, exercise a bit more, and stay within a good range.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    I'm the exact same way, in fact I think sometimes I consciously or subconsciously eat "proactively" to avoid that feeling of low blood sugar. One problem is I often don't feel hungry at all, then suddenly feel really irritable and tired, and after a lifetime of this it's understandable why I don't trust my body's hunger signals.

Interestingly, I have recently started an 8 hour eating window/16 hour fasting window daily, and this doesn't happen while I am fasting -- from what I have read, it may be more an issue of blood sugar rising (as after a meal) and then falling rapidly. It is the falling rapidly that causes problems, not that it is necessarily low.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I read the book, 'have your cake and skinny jeans too"! Excellent and address' what you two have talked about. This last week has been wonderful, some days I ate three meals, some days just one. Glad you two are on here, I am not tracking my food at all!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    I read the book, 'have your cake and skinny jeans too"! Excellent and address' what you two have talked about. This last week has been wonderful, some days I ate three meals, some days just one. Glad you two are on here, I am not tracking my food at all!

That book looks great, I'll check it out! Glad things are going well!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    The book talks about NOT eating in preparation of being overly hungry later! Loved that! I would frequently eat before going out so I wouldn't 'pork out' by being so hungry. Instead I would just eat double. I had lunch with a friend this week and she was delayed an hour. I was so hungry for that hour,in the past fear would have had me eating 'a little' right then. Instead we went to lunch and I had a normal meal of whati wanted!! I think this book is helping me lose ALL these rules!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    I do the same thing. There is this irrational fear of being hungry, or maybe it is of not being able to function . . . I know when I have something stressful or demanding going on it's much worse. Sounds like I really need to read that. It got amazing reviews on Amazon.
  • slenderyeppie
    Options
    AmIhealthyyet- I know I said I want to start IE-ing once I get to maintenance but calorie counting has become such a comforting way to keep my intake in check. I like being in control and knowing what I'm eating! How did you wean yourself off counting calories? When I did it (right after reading the book) I was so anxious!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    AmIhealthyyet- I know I said I want to start IE-ing once I get to maintenance but calorie counting has become such a comforting way to keep my intake in check. I like being in control and knowing what I'm eating! How did you wean yourself off counting calories? When I did it (right after reading the book) I was so anxious!

I am having a much harder time theni thought I would, the not counting. I feel a need to know where I am at and if I am being healthy. My mind is having a hard time turning off the counting!
  • lindyfry
    lindyfry Posts: 2
    Options
    I feel like maybe MFP calorie-counting may be very against IE principles! After all, we're supposed to eat what our body craves, not according to numbers or "healthy" suggestions. What are some hardships you guys have experienced? For me, it's the fear that I'll gain lots of weight.

I agree, but I do think that utilizing MFP—at the very least to record what it is that we are consuming—will help with awareness and mindfulness when it comes to our dietary habits. I used to use MFP as a means to calorie count and had success with losing weight; however I gained it all back after life got in the way (which it tends to do from time to time, haha). After that experience, I really want to establish better, kinder more intuitive eating habits that I can maintain—I've been going through the Intuitive Eating book bit by bit and hope to learn to establish the habits it promotes, but I think using MFP as a set of training wheels of sorts might help me log average intake from day to day, and to determine what my body seems to need, even if it's from a caloric perspective.

Hopefully we can engage in a more active IE community together!
  • Healthy_Libby
    Healthy_Libby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I think this way of eating is the way to go, but in order to make changes I did need to be aware of what I was actually consuming. I think theres a difference between eating whatever comes into your head and giving your body what it needs.... eg. cereals are a waste of my time. they are high in calories (30g is literally nothing) and does not fill me up AT ALL. But for years I have been mindlessly munching on processed cereals for breakfast, maybe in the evening too... and not weighing it: like the full bowl. So I totally hope to get to an intuitive eating point.... some days I log it all, just to check, if my choices are good. :)