No gluten allergy but feeling better limiting gluten - what gives?

Options
Blood tests say I do not have an allergy but I seem to feel better when I limit foods containing gluten to 1-2 portions a day. Has any of you had a similar experience?

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Me too. According to my doc it's a common trigger for auto-immune disease. I have Hashimoto's, which is an auto-immune thyroid disorder.

It's this vary reason that people will recommend various "thyroid diets" for those with thyroid disorders which are auto-immune in nature -- and Hashi's is the most common hypothyroid disorder (accounts for something like 70% of hypo disorders).

According to my doc, the most common triggers are gluten, casein, lactose (both found in dairy) and certain cruiciferous vegetables. I went strict Paleo initially to see if I felt better and I did. I was able to add back in dairy and haven't seen a problem, but I do notice an issue with gluten so I avoid it for the most part and I have less "flare-ups" with my thyroid.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes, and my doctor said similar about being linked to autoimmune issues. I am better off limiting wheat particularly, but I go for a number of gluten-free products. I'm fine with dairy but have to limit soya products - as in larger/noticeable quantities, like soya milk, I'm fine with small amounts of soya. I'm also better off limiting caffeine and white carbs. I'm still tweaking my diet for optimal results but I feel much better having made all of these changes.
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I gave up gluten completely at the recommendation of my doc - I also have hashimoto's. She suggested giving up dairy also, but I haven't gotten there yet. The gluten apparently triggers the immune system as mentioned above. There's research out there about it, I don't have a link right now. I feel so much better you couldn't pay me to start eating gluten again.