Carb:Fat:Protein ratios

Options
pseudandry
pseudandry Posts: 41 Member
I've chosen to do a carb/fat/protein ratio of 45%C : 30%F : 25%P and yet I'm still having trouble getting to 25% protein every day (actually, ANY day.) I even had the equivalent of 4 egg whites for breakfast today and ended up at 22%. I am eating healthy, well-balanced food each day, but need suggestions for getting my protein up without raising my fat (there's my fear :\ ) Note: I'm lactose-intolerant, so all of the low/no-fat dairy protein options aren't really options. My carbs have ranged from 47-36%; fats from 50-35%; and protein from 22-14%. The carbs are usually from fruits and veggies or whole grains, and the fats are usually from nuts, seeds, or EVOO. With only 1,200, there's not much wiggle room (pun intended). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You don't mention beans. Go get some pintos!
  • pseudandry
    Options
    Yep, beans are in there! Beans and greens, bean soup, beans on salad... Thanks.
  • monikadanielak
    monikadanielak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your fat ratio is really high? I don't know what EVOO is. I do know your struggle though. I am also struggling to get the protein high enough. Have taken to cutting even more carbs and have much more lean meat. Try two lean steaks with a minimal salad and some dressing for lunch. Lots of protein, small amount of fat and small amount of carb I know that it can be especially hard when you are working or out for the day, but try keeping things like little meaty skewers to hand for snacks rather than reaching for nuts.
  • pseudandry
    Options
    EVOO IS extra virgin olive oil
  • Aswennu
    Aswennu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would suggest maybe some nuts or a vegan protein shake? Also broccoli has a decent amount as well. If you're not a vegetarian, I suggest fish!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My first recommendation is raise your protein goal. What I did was manually set my protein in grams at the same number as my goal weight. I mostly ignore carbs from veggies. I have to watch my sugar because of diabetes so I count any starches, garbage I might eat, and fruits.

#2 is do NOT cook with EVOO. Heating it destroys the good properties and actually converts it to a "bad" oil. Cook with grape seed and coconut and if you can find it probably organic canola oil would be okay. Eat the nuts raw as the oils in them are also converted by heat. Eat your yolks. find a protein bar that you think is tasty and use that as your go to sweet treat. there are almond, soy and other "milks" out there that are made into greek yogurt. That way you can get your probiotics in.

I need to follow this better myself. lol. Oh and do resistance training if you aren't already.
  • Tigs63
    Tigs63 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’m a vegetarian and I set my protein grams at 100 and my carbs at 90. I understand how difficult it can be. I drink protein shakes or smoothies made with almond milk (30 calories per cup and I use 1.5 cups). I have some brands and flavors that I love so it makes it easier. I add chia seeds for a healthy fat and fiber powder for fiber plus they make the shake stay by me longer. One scoop of protein powder gives me 24g of protein.
  • burjmax
    burjmax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on 1,800 calories a day and that was set by my trainer who also set me the following percentages: Carbs 45%, Protein 35%, Fat 20%, so I appreciate my numbers are slightly different to yours, but I also struggle some days to hit my protein figure. Here in UK, I get 3 things from Lidl that help: protein yoghurt, protein pudding and protein bars. They're all much cheaper than similar ones bought in stores that sell supplements etc. They help me to boost my intake. If I do a session in the gym, I now take a supplement after. I used to use 100% whey protein but now that I'm mixing cardio and strength training, I've changed to one called SIS Rego, which has 50% protein and 50% carbs. While I lose some protein, I've found that better after a training session. I'm not a vegetarian so I also buy ready-cooked chicken pieces at Lidl too, which I have most days for lunch on a wrap with a very small amount of "lighter than light Mayo", just to stop it all falling apart. I bought some vegetarian protein powder a few weeks ago, when they didn't have SIS Rego in stock, I think its made from peas, and is vanilla flavoured, which I've found is also fine for me. My trainer says supplements should be exactly that, not substitutes, so I really only take a protein shake supplement if its getting late afternoon and I know I'm going to struggle hitting my numbers. I only have a basic knowledge of nutrition, I'm trying to soak up a lot more, so just a question: how did you arrive at your percentages? I only ask as I'm curious why the target fat % is higher than my own. I usually have zero problem hitting my carb number, mainly because I could live on fresh bread if the global food supply chain disappeared. My fats are mostly under but sometimes way over if I have a treat, then I'm horrified at how much sugar is in certain things. Planning to do a week of 1200 calories a day in a couple of weeks, which I'm expecting to be difficult but hopefully manageable.